Fender bass 6 style flower bass - MM pickup dramas

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by reverendrally, Dec 6, 2012.

1. reverendrally

reverendrally

Hi all,

I'm in the middle of finishing this bass for my sister in law. It's tuned like a fender bass VI. E A D G B e. All is going mostly well except for 2 things...

[​IMG]

1. The Wilkinson MM5 pickup I have has soooo much grunt, even a 500k pot is not enough to silence it. Will a 1meg pot do the trick?

2. The high e string is super quiet compared to all the other strings. Initially I thought it was a pickup height issue. So I shimmed the PU up today, but even the with the PU only 5mm under the string, I have the same issue. I also tried tuning the string down to B. At this pitch it was the same volume as the heavier string next to it. Tuning it up back to E demonstrates a phasing issue of some sort where the PU doesn't pick it up properly. I've tried it wired in both series and paralell with same results really. Strangely, playing with your fingers makes it a lot more even than picking when you can hardly hear it. Anyhow, any thoughts as to how I might get round this would be really appreciated. Ideas so far include...
    a. piezo saddle for the e string.
    b. extra pickup just below the e string.

Anything I could be missing or quick fixes?
  2. kenstee

kenstee Supporting Member