1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender bass dating. I know there r threads, i need help now

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by duderus, Jan 12, 2013.

1. duderus

duderus

2. DeliriumTremens

DeliriumTremens

Looks correct to me. I doubt it will sell for $1500, probably plenty more

3. duderus

duderus

the logo thing doesnt look right... no patent numbers..

are these suppose to be on there?

4. DeliriumTremens

DeliriumTremens

it has the later logo on it which would usually have the serial no beneath it (no patent numbers) but as the serial is on the neckplate there is nothing. It's probably a transitional bass. Nothing else jumps out at me as it being a fake. Someone who knows better than I will probably comment if I am wrong

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

I have a '76 P with a serial number fairly close to that and the headstock logo has three Patent numbers on it. But, the neck plate serial numbers were not used in any sense of consecutiveness, so as DT says, it could be a transitional logo from ~mid '76. Everything else about the bass looks to be of that period. And the case is telling - I had thought that the brownish-burgundy interior was "first" used in '77. So, there's some evidence for this being a late '76 to '77 comprised of parts from early '76. I have an "S9" serial numbered neck on my '76 right now, and that headstock looks just like this one less the serial number.

7. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Since '76 was a transitional year, that seems like it could be legit. Always a gamble on ebay, but no red flags I can see.

And I would guess the bidding will climb in the next few hours......although seriously, the market sucks, man. Lots of vintage gear is just sitting there not selling. So you never know.