Fender Bass VI question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Beatlefreek, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Beatlefreek

Beatlefreek

I just recently got a Fender Japan Bass VI (a '95 approximately). Has anyone got a similar year, who has swapped out the pickups, and, if so, what has been you conclusion?

The stock pickups don't sound too bad — actually pretty good. But it's, in a way, hard to tell because of the cheesy, ticky-tacky sound of the bass itself — which I mean in the best and most admiring way possible. Hey, it's precisely for that cheesy ticky-tacky sound I bought it for in the first place.

But I'm wondering if swapping the pickups for, say, Seymour Duncans, would be worthwhile.

Thanks

2. MR PC

MR PC

If the pickups you have there have ceramic magnets (I'm guessing they do), I wouldn't hesitate to switch them out for something else. The original Bass VI used Alnico magnets, a big part of the whole vibe. Plus you could probably get a reverse wound pickup for noise cancellation when using more than one pickup. The new Squire Bass VI has that feature.

3. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

The ticky-tacky sound can usually be "cured" by getting a heavier-gauge string set. Something like a .095 LaBella Bass VI set or one of the heavier Circle K sets (.098, .102, .106). Also, as MR PC said, if your middle pickup isn't reverse-wired/wound and reverse-polarized (if the bass doesn't become noiseless if you combine the middle pickup with either, but not both, of the other two pickups), you should get it done. A decent luthier can fix that issue right up.