fender bassman 100

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bamofo88, Mar 6, 2014.

1. bamofo88

bamofo88

Im looking at buying a 73-74 bassman 100 it will be my first tube amp.ive tryed it out with a modern american ampeg 4x10 and really liked the sound...now my question is is it really worth buying for someone like me i dont gig or even play in a band i jam with a few friends once and awhile mostly sabbath\deep purple type stuff.i just dont know if i should pull the trigger or if i will regret it down the line.hes asking 550 and it seems in nice shape again i dont know much about tube amps..right im useing a warwick corvette threw a peavy max 1x12 200 combo with the berinhger bdi 21 for somewhat tube tone.any advice would great thanks...

2. denton57

denton57

I'd say go for it!

Do you own the 4x10 or have regular access to it?

3. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

I say go for it. I have a 77 bassman 100 and love it. Great sounds, especially for the type of music you are playing.

Just something to think about... old tube amps usually need some work done to them, so you should factor that into your budget. I think $550 is a pretty good price, but new tubes, new caps, and just a trip to the tech can add up.

4. Cirk

Cirk

Nice amp, but the price is high IMO. Do some research for yourself to be sure you're getting a fair deal.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bamofo88

bamofo88

Denton57..no I dont have a cab at all anymore I played it threw one they had at the shop.

I have been doing some searching online and can't find anything from the same year to get a round about price idea he said 550 is the lowest he could go on it and he has a Peavy 1x15 I may try it with I'm going back sat with my Warwick to try it again I used a fender jazz before just to get an idea of how it sounds with jazz pickups..I dont know if I want a modern cab or if I should search for a old bass man or sunn cab.I know I can get the 1x15 pretty cheap if i like it and always upgrade later.

7. hennessybass

Cirk could be right about the pricing. It might be a little high. I'm in Ausitn where prices on "cool" amps tend to get inflated. I think anywhere between $400 - $600 is the range, so $550 is not too bad depending on the shape it's in.

On the cab, just remember that the bassman want's to see a 4ohm load, so find a 4ohm cab. Those old bassman cabs are supposed to be not that great. Big, not great construction, and not great sound. I've played mine with an Aguilar DB212, and a Berg CN212, as well as with an old 2x15 Ashdown stack. Just find something that works and sounds good to you.

8. Cirk

Cirk

Just search around for prices on silverface bassman 100's. Getting the exact year isn't a big deal, they should all price about the same. The 77 has a master volume, so make sure your comparisons do as well.
    Has this amp been serviced recently? What work was done? How old are the tubes? For all that money, it should have seen service within the last few months with full documentation. If not, a trip to a service tech will hurt a bit.

9. bamofo88

bamofo88

The one I'm looking at does have a master volume so does that make it a 77? Because the owner said the serial number dated it a 73-74..

10. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

I am the original owner of a 1974 Bassman 100 head that I gig with occasionally.

[​IMG]

I had mine serviced a few years ago and it's still a great vintage amp. For years back in the 80s I used it at least four nights a week with a Peavey 1x15" cab. Luckily I had a couple of house gigs so I didn't have to move it often. It is not the lightest amp.

For that price I would expect it to be in near mint condition, new tubes that are biased, fresh caps, clean pots, good cosmetics, etc.

If my amp is worth that much I may think about selling it. When new I paid $300 each for the amp and the 4x12 diagonal cabinet. That was a pretty crummy cabinet. :rolleyes:

More info: http://www.thevintagesound.com/ffg/bassman_super.html from http://www.thevintagesound.com/ffg/

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

11. hennessybass

All the 100 watt modles have a master volume. [DEL]The first 100 watter with master volume was the "Super Bassman" [/DEL]made from '69 - '71. Then they switched the name to the Bassman 100 from '72 - '76. Sometime around '77 they changed the ciruit and renamed it the Bassman 135.

The one you are looking at sounds correct.

EDIT--- the "Super Bassman" may not have had a master volume... but the Bassman 100 does.

12. hennessybass

Hard to say on the pricing. Like I said, my idea of price may be inflated -- it all depends on your market.

Looks like a couple just sold on here for $400 and $475 -

There are no "head only" 100s listed on Ebay right now, but there is a Bassman 135 with a starting bid of $600, and a Bassman 70 (fully serviced) listed at $749:eek:.

13. bamofo88

bamofo88

Thanks for all the advice everyone I'll definitely be asking some questions when I go back Saturday

14. lexington125

lexington125

the days of dirt cheap tube Bassman amps are long gone. (Us oldtimers wish we had filled up a storage space when they were being given away for $100 or less!!!) But now, unless you really overpay, you can play the bassman for years and then get all of your money back if you ever want to sell. So if you really want one, it would be hard to find a good reason not to grab one.

(disclosure - I've probably owned 10 to 12 bassman heads over the years including a pair of very clean white tolex heads. I paired up one of the blonde heads with the smaller Tremolux 10" blonde cabinet for the coolest little guitar rig! - another in my long list of "wish I kept that")

15. bamofo88

bamofo88

I couldn't fight the urge till Saturday so I went down and tryed it will the Peavy 15 it was a American made 4 ohm and looked a little ruff but sounded awesome and I asked all the questions and he said that they bought it off his guitar player had it retubed a year or so ago and played maybe 5 rehearsals with it....said he could get me out the door for 625 head and cab think I'll think it over the next few days but I'm thinking of leaning more towards getting in.

16. robboy

robboy Supporting Member

With a couple of simple mods these amps are great sounding. They need more P.S. filtering to work as good as they can. Do that and you will have a great 100 watt amp. That said it's only 100 watts, they may be tube watts but still these amps aren't real loud unless you have a lot of efficient speakers. I've had a few and the present one I have has been modded with 220MF filter caps, orange drop coupling caps and new Sprague bypass caps. It is hands down my favorite amp for low volume. BTW I think that the preamp section is the same as an Alembic if I remember right. But I can't see how you can go wrong for $625. The last one I sold about 3 years ago went for 850.00 head and matching cab in mint condition.

17. hennessybass

Great at low volume,, and surprising at louder volume with the right cab.

I think the Alembic is based off the showman head... but very, very similar.

18. denton57

denton57

I think $625 for a 100 watts of tube tone and a 1x15 is a great deal and a great way to get into the tube world. Play it and enjoy!

Also, don't be afraid to twist some knobs. I believe a "flat" setting is like 2-10-2? (Bass, mid, treble)

19. hennessybass

2-10-2 is a great place to start. Or just 2-2 if using the "bass" channel with no mid control.

My normal is - gain around 5/6, deep switch on, trebble 10-2, and bass 3-6.

20. elwuss

elwuss

My Bassman 100 is 1974 and it has a master volume.
    GREAT sound/tone, but if you play very loud, prepare for low end breakup.
    That's the only flaw.

21. Abrahampost

Abrahampost Supporting Member

625 for the set up isn't too bad. I think I paid 400 when I picked up a 74 and passed it on for the same when I was faced with having it serviced. Mine came retubed but definitely needed some tlc. Always save a little cash for a good tech to go through it.... I made that mistake and had to let the amp go.