Fender Bassman 100T - chapter 2

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BassyBill, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Media:
  2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

Greetings, here we go! :cool:

3. Basstreble

Basstreble

I really liked this amp head when I tried it out. Should I decide to get this, or upgrade to the 300t super? And how much different are the amps?

4. Tim1

Tim1

I own both heads. Which one you get depends on your needs. Their preamp sections are identical but there is the obvious power difference and the 300 uses 6550 tubes. The 100T has the added versatility of being switchable between 25 and 100 watts. The 100T is a very loud 100 watts with way more clean headroom than any other 100 watt tune head I have played and should suit most gigs given a decent speaker cab - the 610 neo is an excellent match IMO. The 100T is also lighter. The 300 has more sheer clout and control at the bottom end which you would expect given the extra watts - I love it. In my (rather fortunate) situation I practice with the 100T but gig with the 300.
    I don't think you could go wrong with either, to be honest.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Freight Train

Freight Train Earth-based Alternative Scientist, Sex Researcher Supporting Member

No right or wrong answer, just depends on what you're going for. My choice was the 100T because I wanted the grunt of power tubes just in that sweet spot of distortion before they break up, and you can achieve that sound at a reasonable volume with the 100T. To get there with the SB300 I'm guessing you'll be shaking the foundation. If you go for a cleaner sound, as Tim says you got tons of headroom with the SB300. Also, if you like to crank a lot of sub-lows, say 50hz and below, the 100T will undoubtedly run out of gas in that situation, where the SB300 should just cruise.

7. ev rodriguez

ev rodriguez Supporting Member

I've got a 100t coming from Musician's friend tomorrow. I am using a GK 400rb3 through Ampeg 410 bse hlf for smaller gigs, which sounds really good, actually. But I use an Ampeg SVT CL / 810 fridge for larger gigs and have really gotten hooked on tube tone.
    The Ampeg 410 cab is really a great full range cab, and though it weighs around 70 lbs, it still a featherweight compared tot he SVT rig. Anyway i'll report back after I gig with it this weekend. Wish me luck. Can't find one to play from Miami to Tampa, so I am buying this thing based on blind faith...and the great reviews this head is getting here and on other blogs.

8. adivin

adivin Supporting Member

Most of us bought it on blind faith brother.

9. ev rodriguez

Good to know, given all of the positive vibe...!

10. PhatRon

PhatRon supporting member Supporting Member

and here's another "now I have a really good back up amp"post. rec'd my 100T tonight. played on it for about 45 minutes. was able to dial up some really sweet tones. Really dig the creamy sounding upper register stuff on the vintage channel. Nice low end too, although I found nothing usable with the pull boost (not needed at all).
    I have a gig Sat. night I am going to give her a go.
    any advice?

11. Freight Train

Freight Train Earth-based Alternative Scientist, Sex Researcher Supporting Member

Just let 'er rip and hold on tight! I've found that with my basses (both passive single pup) by the end of the gig I'm usually sitting at around 5 on channel volume, 5 to 6 on master volume. (That's with the Bassman 410 Neo cab, which is not overly efficient.) For me that matches drum level perfectly for small/medium sized venues with no FOH support, and is plenty of stage volume for larger gigs with FOH. But I dig in pretty hard, so if you're a 'light touch' guy those might be shy for you. Also haven't found the need to use much eq at all, and do not use the bass boost setting on my basses except for our one reggae song. Did use the vintage channel's bass boost once where the room had a big bass suck-out, but have never found a use for the bass boost on the active channel and in that suck-out room just boosted that channel's bass eq a couple notches instead. Just my opinion, but the 100T/410 Neo combination is such an ideal sound with my particular basses, I wouldn't dare think of using pedals or outboard fx. :bag:
    One final thing, I noticed that the sound of the rig changed over our first 3 or so gigs, kind of 'settled in'. Not sure if that was the woofers getting limbered up, or the tubes burning in, or a combination of those. But over those three gigs it went from 'great' to 'perfect'.
    Have fun! Let us know what happens.

12. ev rodriguez

Well, got the amp today and spent about 2 hours playing it though my Ampeg bse 410 hlf.
    The thing really sounds great through the cab, though it doesn't quite fit square on top!
    I played several basses through it, including my '73 Ric 4001. The bass boost was a bit much except for with the Ric, which gets kind of boomy when I turn the neck pickup all the way up, but using the bass boost on the t100 I could turn the neck pickup down without losing a lot of gain, but losing the inherent boominess of the neck pickup.
    I am picking up another bse 410 hlf in about a week. I may try running it at 2 ohms with both cabs. Would appreciate any input or thoughts on running at this impedance.

I am looking forward to gigging with it this weekend, I'll report back on the results.

13. Tim1

Tim1

It will be fine running at two ohms. Just remember to set the speaker impedance with the switch at the back. Another useful feature of its versatility is the 2/4/8 ohm speaker options.

14. PhatRon

Freight Train, thanks man. very interesting about the "burn In" thing. lol I've never been accused of being a "light touch" guy. I also settled on channel vol. at 5 or 6 with my passive jazz. more than that just sounded "wrong". I"ll have to figure out the master vol. on the fly at the gig. I'm sure someone will tell me to "turn down".

Even in the very short time I've actually been on the amp I am liking how extremely useful/functional the blend knob is. I can really hear the difference at each position on the dial.

15. PhatRon

Just curious, why is it that this amp is virtually not available anywhere to test drive?
    I'm sure their sales would surely increase if some demos were amongst the masses.

16. TorontoAlex

TorontoAlex

From what I understand, Fender has been selling these as fast as they can build them. I would think it speaks to the quality of these if they aren't sitting around at stores, but going out the door as fast as they come in.

Freight Train, I know you said a few posts up that you wouldn't put any pedals in front of the amp, and I can understand your point of view. Just have to say that I have a few pedals that I like to put in front of the amp, and they sound great. The 100t doesn't 'need' any outboard gear to get a good tone, but it doesn't hurt the tone if you do! I remember Brandon from the Neon Trees posted in another post that the 300SB takes pedals better than any amp he's tried. I've got to agree!

17. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Has anyone tried their 100T with a guitar and guitar cab?

A GP friend of mine uses a old Bassman 50 and 412 cab.
    We plugged my 100T into his cab . He tried his LP with P90's a Tele and a LP with 'buckers.

It sounded awesome with all the guitars!!
    He loved everything about it and is going to buy one.
    At 25 watts it was loud, at 100 it was stupid loud.
    Once the word gets out to the guitar players it will be even harder to find one.

18. soxhats

soxhats Supporting Member

Has anyone played the 100T with a pair of the Neo 15 cabs by any chance?

19. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I use mine with 2 TL-606's loaded with 3015's
    It kills!

I am having a Greenboy Dually built with Faital Pro 15PR400's

20. Freight Train

Yeah, even though I don't use pedals any longer, I got no problem with guys who do. I was really just giving a little dig. Whatever gets the sound you're going for is correct!

21. adivin

adivin Supporting Member

I did and it was just ok. Sent them back and stayed with Uber 410.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.