Fender Bassman 100T or Meas Boogie Bass Prodigy?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Fattony, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Fattony

Fattony

Fender Bassman 100T or Meas Boogie Bass Prodigy? Which one would you purchase and why?

2. Jazzbass2010

Jazzbass2010

Both seems like great amps . The prodigy is 29 lbs and 250 watts rms . The plus for the fender is dual channel with some gain if needed . The best way is try both if possible .

3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I'd think the Super Bassman might be a more fair comparison to the Prodigy.

Prodigy for me

-It's a Mesa. I've owned a lot of their stuff and they have always done me well
    -It sounds awesome. I'm sure the 100T does as well, which I have never tried.
    -It's the smallest all tube head on the market (100T is long and would hang off of my cab)
    -It's the lightest all tube head on the market
    -It's got more than double the wattage of the 100T, and the ability to use half of it if you want. The 25w setting of the 100T would probably be useless for me although it sounds like it's cool on paper
    -It's powered by KT88's rather than 6L6's

I like the features on both amps. The 100T has been on my want list for a long time. Ultimately the Prodigy seemed to be much more of what I needed, a lean mean gigging machine that took up little space in my house and was small. With all that said, I'd still love to rock out on a 100T on of these days. If I had the space I'd pick one up and give it a shot.

4. Fattony

Fattony

Thanks for the responses. No store in my area has the amps in stock. I would love to try them but I would need to travel about 300 miles to find a store that has one.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. thefunkgorilla

thefunkgorilla

Hey Tony,
    I am fortunate enough to be in Atlanta where I have been able to play both amps. I played a prodigy today and put it on layaway. In no particular order of importance here's why:

1. Weight- 30 lbs. vs 49, plus the Mesa is more compact and sturdy feeling.

2. Power- The Mesa at 250 tube watts is definitely louder than the Fender at 100. I could hear a noticeable difference through a 410.

3. The half power option on the mesa at 125 watts is more usable as a gigging bassist in smaller rooms than the 25 watt option is on the fender. The 125 watts still is quite loud and full sounding, probably louder than the fender at 100 watts. I tried them in two different stores, so I couldn't A/B them.

4. Tone- The Mesa's tone seems more harmonically rich and 3D, but that could be subjective, since I just played the Mesa today. I was wowed by the Fender's tone and Flexibility also.

5. Reliability- When I went to try out a Fender, I was looking to play a 300. The 300 that they had, although new, couldn't produce any sound and the bias lights kept cycling through and one of the guys let it slip that "another one is doing the bias thing"
    That gave me a moments hesitation due to the new auto bias feature on the Fender Super Bassman Series.

6. Size- The Mesa will sit perfectly on any of my cabs, its about 17 inches wide,9-10 inches deep, 8 inches tall, just guessing from memory on the size.

7. Look- The Mesa looks COOL!!! I love Blue.

Both are great sounding amps and I am sure you'd be happy with either.