1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender Bassman 100t vs Mesa Walkabout

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by eshalon, Nov 18, 2012.

1. eshalon

eshalon

Can anyone give me insight to the tonal similarities and differences between these two heads? Im not worried about the overdrive capabilities. just the general clean to mild break up tone differences
  2. eshalon

eshalon

anyone got any experience with both?
  3. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I would expect them to be quite different, tonally. The WA isa favorite around here, myself included. Very "tube-like" tone for a small 300 watt hybrid. The Bassman, otoh, IS an all-tube amp, but only 100 watts. I would thing the WA would have more clean headroom, but it really is a matter of preference.
  5. eshalon

eshalon

How would you describe the tone of each? What is it that makes you think they will sound quite different?
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Play them. What makes them different is, they ARE different. Only you can decide what you'd like, it all just personal preference.
  7. rodl2005

rodl2005

Different is hard to describe.
    Walkabout's extensive eq make it very versatile. But the 100T has its modern channel. So.... The WA is 300w & a darn good 300 too.
  8. eshalon

eshalon

The reason I am asking is because I am unable to play them. I would have thought they would be in a similar tone field with the walkabout being based on the fender tone stack. I have played ampeg, gk, swr, eden, mesa carbine, but neither of these heads so I don't have much to go off.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I'm able to get a little grit out of my Walkabout but not overdrive. I've heard you can get different preamp tubes that will break up more. To me, it's the perfect amount as is and I use it very little anyway. I own an old Fender PA100 and have had several other Fender all-tube amps. The sound is quite different from the Walkabout. Not as "tight". That's the best I can do and I really hate describing sound with words. They both sound great. For me the Walkabout is more versatile, weighs less, and can get a little louder than the 100W Fender tube amps I have played.

All that being said, I have never tried the exact one you asked about. Don't know anything at all about the "modern" channel.
  10. Tim1

Tim1

I have not played the Walkabout so cannot make the comparison you request. However, as the owner of a 100T I can point out that it is very, very different to the old Bassman heads and it is pointless comparing the Walkabout to older Fender tube heads. The new one is significantly more versatile and has way more headroom than the old Bassmans.
  11. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Tim1 Calm down. I admitted I had never played the thing.

And if you have never played a Walkabout, and the OP says it's designed after the old Fender tone stack, how could you possibly know what's pointless about the comparison? HIS assumption is that they probably sound similar. And they really don't. So even if I have never played your precious 100T, the OP just might benefit from knowing that the Walkabout (while "old school" in its tone capabilities) doesn't really sound exactly like an old Fender.
  12. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Surf through the 100T thread. I'm sure there are a couple of guys from NZ there.
    Fair warning, don't play through that amp unless you can afford to buy it. I hear they are expensive there!

There is no comparison between the two amps. The Walkabout is a nice amp, but it is not a real tube amp. You can get some pre amp tube grind out of it but a couple 12ax7's breaking up does not sound like 4 6L6 power tubes breaking up.
    If you want a real tube amp get the 100T.
    It is big but it isn't heavy and it needs some speakers to get enough volume. 215's and 610's are what most owners are using.

If you want a good sounding amp and cab that is easy to move and carry the Mesa and a 212 or a couple 210's will work great for you.

If you want the real deal and don't mind carrying a big head and more speakers go Fender.
    This is my rig,
    100T- 48 pounds
    2- TL606 115 cabs- 42 pounds each
    It isn't all that heavy but it is bulky and takes up some room.

The Fender Bassman Pro 610 neo cab that so many owners are using is 77 pounds.

Edit* That's right, Tim is from NZ (wasn't sure it it was NZ or OZ) He is the NZ Fender amp guru
  13. Tim1

Tim1

Twofingers, sorry I have no idea where you are coming from with your response. I was simply trying to help the OP make a reasoned choice. I thought the thread was about helping him. I was not even thinking about you when I posted my comment. Enough said.....
    Anyway, I didn't notice that the OP is from New Zealand as I am too. So, Eshalon, if you are near Hawkes Bay you are very welcome to visit me and try mine out. Just send me a PM.
  14. eshalon

eshalon

Thanks for the offer Tim. But I live in Canterbury. Do you know anything about global sound trade? They have the 100t on their website for A LOT cheaper then the retailers
  15. Tim1

Tim1

Hi eshalon, I have not had any experience of them. However, when I googled global sound trade plenty of information came up straight away. Have a look at this for yourself before ordering anything.....................
  16. obimark

obimark

I played the Fender 100t- for my ears best amp I ever heard on its Vintage channel, did not care for the OD channel much as it was fuzz.

100% PURE tube goodness, just not sure I have the $$ and want the 50 lb schlep.

But Oh man was it sweet, sweet, solo bass tone, IMHO, highly doubt the walkabout would touch it for pure TUbe tone.

I don't know how it sounds in a band context which is what may be most important, (for folks in a band) but soloed, doubt you would find anything as good.
  17. eshalon

eshalon

wow thanks for that tim. those things are usually too good to be true. thanks for other peoples opinions too
  18. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Spending a few minutes with a 100T will only tell you about the vintage channel.
    The OD channel has a lot to offer but you have to learn how to use it.
    This is the first amp that I have owned that I didn't have figured out in a hour. I am 6 months in and a lot of hours spent playing through it and I am just getting the feel for it. It is by far the most versatile amp I have ever used.
  19. Tim1

Tim1

I agree with you hdracer, when I first got my 100T I stuck with the vintage channel because it sounded so good and was so intuitive and easy to get a great sound. More recently I have been using the "overdrive" channel. I had been piut off by the term overdrive as I like a clean tone, but it actually has an extremely versatile more modern and active type EQ system which allows you to dial in a huge variety of tones - you don't have to use the overdrive facility at all if you don't want to, or you can just dial in a subtle hint of it.