Fender Bassman 70

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mikechenko, Nov 25, 2012.

1. mikechenko

mikechenko

Hey everybody, new to the forum and still fairly new to playing bass. Over the weekend, my wifes uncle had given me a 1970's Fender Bassman 70, I have a 1990's 500 Watt Carvin, 15 inch cabinet. Any help on what kind of sound I'm going to get out of it? Proper speaker cable to use? I don't gig, mainly play around the house and with friends at our practice space. Since I've only had a 15 watt practice amp I've been playing out of, It'll be nice to set everything up. Both cabinet and head were given to me for free, if I have a bunch of junk on my hands, I'm not going to be terribly upset, since I didnt waste money on it. Any help, suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. fuzzy beard

fuzzy beard

3. fuzzy beard

fuzzy beard

Also that is far from junk!!

4. mikechenko

mikechenko

It does work, and I am aware of the differences. He had said that everything was in working order. I do know that I dont have junk on my hands, just not sure on how cabinets and heads work together, with the differend wattage and Ohms and whatnot. Should have stated it differently.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fuzzy beard

fuzzy beard

Is it a bassman cab? Any way to get pics?

7. mikechenko

mikechenko

Carvin cab, 1x15 inch 500 Watt. I can post pics tomorrow.

8. fuzzy beard

fuzzy beard

You know what ohms that is? should say on the jack plate.

9. mikechenko

mikechenko

10. fuzzy beard

fuzzy beard

Year:
    1968-1983
    Model:
    Bassman (68-71)
    Bassman 50 (72-76)
    Bassman 70 (77-83)
    Circuit:
    AB165, AA568, AA270, AA371
    Config:
    Piggy-back
    Control Panel:
    Silver forward facing w/ blue labels
    Front Conrol Layout:
    Bass: In, In, Deep Sw, Vol, Treb, Bass - Normal: In, In, Bright Sw, Vol, Treb, Bass - Pilot Lamp
    Rear Conrol Layout:
    AC Outlet, Ground Sw, Fuse (2A), Power Sw, Standby Sw, Speaker Jack, Ex. Speaker Jack
    Knobs:
    Black skirted w/ chrome center, numbered 1 - 10
    Head:
    8¼" x 22" x 9½" (21 x 55.9 x 24.1 cm)
    Head Hardware:
    Black strap handle, 4½" chassis straps, corner protectors, cab hooks (68-76)
    Cabinet:
    68-71: 40" x 29½" x 11½" (101.6 x 74.9 x 29.2 cm)
    72-83: 30" x 28" x 12" (76.2 x 71.12 x 30.5 cm)
    Cab Hardware:
    3 Black strap handles, corner protectors, knurled studs (68-76), casters
    Head/Cab Covering:
    Black Tolex
    Head/Cab Grille:
    Blue sparkle grille cloth w/ aluminum frame (68-69), w/o aluminum frame (70-79)
    Logo:
    Grille mounted, raised, chrome & black script "Fender" w/ tail(68-74) or "Fender®" w/o tail (74-83) (head and cab)
    Weight:
    105 lbs. (47.6 Kg)
    Speakers/Load:
    2 x 12" (68) or 2 x 15" (68-83)/4 ohms (8 ohms each in parallel)
    Speaker Model:
    Oxford 12T6, Utah or Rola
    Effects:
    None
    Output:
    50 (68-76) or 70 (77-83) Watts
    Preamp:
    Bass: 2 x 7025
    Normal: 7025
    Power:
    2 x 6L6GC
    Bias:
    Fixed Bias, ajustment pot
    Rectifier:
    Solid State
    Phase Inverter:
    12AT7 (long tailed)
    Comments:
    Fender switched back to the blackface era cosmetics some time in 1980. Bassmans produced between late 1980 and 1983 have a black control panel and silver sparkle grille cloth.

11. fuzzy beard

fuzzy beard

Yes, the Bassman 70 will drive two cabs.

Yes, the "ext speaker" jack is where you'll connect your second cab.

This is one of those amps that play with output transformer secondary-winding selection depending on whether or not the extension speaker jack is occupied. When only the main speaker is plugged in, the full winding is used. When two speakers are plugged in, only half the winding is used.

Although the schematic doesn't come right out and say it, it seems clear that each jack wants to see 4 ohms, for a combined impedance of 2 ohms. The main jack is denoted 068270 SPKR JACK FOR 4 OHM MIN. LOAD, and the extension jack is denoted 014143 EXT. SPEAKER JACK FOR 4 OHM MIN. LOAD. That and the split secondary winding tell me it's 4 ohms per jack.

What'll happen? According to the schematic, nothing bad, since it says "minimum" load. From that, we can assume there's some safety margin in the output section of that amp.

The above is copied from a reply in a different thread by Craig p.http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/new-cabs-bassman-70-a-659302/

12. fuzzy beard

fuzzy beard

In my opionen 8ohms will be fine.

13. mikechenko

mikechenko

8 on the cabinet, correct? Thanks for the info, hope to get this set up within the week.

14. mikechenko

mikechenko

a few pics

Attached Files:

15. mikechenko

mikechenko

few more

Attached Files:

16. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

Any reasonably priced 3 foot speaker cable will be fine. Around $10 bucks or so.

Also, make sure the cab has about 1.5-2" of insulation (open cell foam) on all sides except the baffle (don't block the port if there is one). Oh...if the power cord is 2 prong, get that bad boy switched out to a 3 prong grounded ASAP.

Let us know how it goes.

When you turn on the Bassman, turn it on it stand-by mode for about 5 minutes for the tubes to warm up. Then turn off the stand-by.