Fender Bassman, an 8x10, and 2 1x15's??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bassdude15, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

This is a rig Ive been considering putting to use for a while:
    Fender SB300, Orange OBC810, and (2) OBC115's. Im looking for massive tone and clean headroom and I think this rig will deliver that in spades.
    Any thoughts/comments/suggestions??

EDIT: Unless there could be technical issues with this setup (I.e. blowing a speaker), PLEASE no negativity!!!
    I WILL report it to forum admins.

Thanks,
    Bassdude15
  2. bassboysam

bassboysam

Getting my popcorn ready....

Be prepared to get the following

You're too loud, turn down and get a 112.

Get a roadie.

Soundguys must hate you.

Audirnces must hate you.

How can anyone have a conversation while your band plays?

You have no talent and are compensating with volume.

I hope you wear earplugs.

I play with the loudest drummer in the world and two marshall stacks and get by with my 115 combo so should you.

Mixing speaker sizes can cause issues. It will likeky sound like crap.

A DI and IEMs are more than enough.

I'm sure I'm missig a few but it won't be long before the grumpy grumps come along and tell you how to do it correctly.

My personal thoughts; it's hard to tell. Give it a try and see what you think. If you find something sspecifically wrong then we could help you.
  3. FourBanger

FourBanger

Meh, find a little combo that sounds good and mic it through the house.
  4. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

I do in fact wear earplugs :D
    ... Problem solved.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassboysam

bassboysam

Probably not the right ones....;)
  7. bray101

bray101 Supporting Member

I'm not asking this sarcastically, but rather seriously....

Have you ever really been on the road with your gear in a trailer?

If yes, and you're still considering that setup, then kudos to your muscles.

If no, I don't see the point. A single 810 can shred any venue, especially with that head on top. Just don't see the need for the 15s. You're probably going to actually lose low frequency as opposed to just running the 810.

If you do go through with it, for some reason, the only way it would work somewhat evenly would be of each of those single 15 cabs are 8 ohms each. That would give you a 2ohm total load when paired with that 810.

Good luck to you, your back, and your bandmates who will hate you. Haha

And I swear, no sarcasm here at all.
  8. Zoa

Zoa

There are a few potential problems with this rig. It's not unworkable though.

First off, and most importantly, assuming that you wire it such that the 15's are acting essentially as a 4 ohm 215, each 15 will be receiving the same power as four of the 10's. Thus, you are limiting the output of your 810 to what the fifteens can take. If you dial up all the power that your 15s can take, your 810 will still be cruising, and if you really start pushing, the 15s will likely blow well before the 810 reaches its limit.

Second, if your rig is carrying the house, using mixed cabinets can contribute to phase anomalies and comb filtering out in the audience, i:e: spots where the bass is alternative louder or quieter.

My take is this. If I were doing it, I'd get two 810s. That way, you are getting the full potential out of your rig, adding a lot of headroom, plus lessening the chance of damaging something. Also, depending on how the phasing ends up, it has a good chance of sounding better, or at least more consistent from spot to spot.

If you are set on the 15's, just make sure you are listening for signs of distress from them as you turn up. If they start sounding like they are going to explode, turn down. The 810 is going to be louder though, so listen carefully.

Whatever you do, make sure you stick the cabinets together. Putting one on one side of the stage and one on the other is a recipe for awful sound problems.

Good luck! It should be awesome.
  9. bray101

+1 to this. You'll get much better low end from 2 810s. I still don't understand why you need all that, but if that's what you want, you may as well get what will sound more "massive" as you wish to sound.
  10. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Forgive me for assuming you plan on playing 150 to 400 clubs without PA support.

It's fine if you don't mind your tone disintegrating into a bellowing grumble for the majority of the audience, who don't care for bass tone anyway, preferring to concentrate on the awesome bellow, so go hard son.

Beware power handling difference if you get a strong amp.

Don't put a cab set on each side of the stage or your bellow will drop out here and there on various notes out of a run.
  11. AnthonyAdkins

AnthonyAdkins Supporting Member

Honestly man,

I played right at 200 shows last year. I have a New Vintage Amplifiers 410 and an NVA 160 watt tube head. I have MORE than enough stage volume. Unless you are playing venues without P.A., you've lost most of your hearing, and you don't run IEM(which you should if possible, save those ears)....you don't need that big of a rig. I carried an 810 forever and my band mates HATED me for it.

Either way, good luck!
  12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

OP, assuming your plan is thinking the 810 for "punch" and "clarity", and the 15's for the "bottom", it's a flawed plan. The diameter of the spkr does not indicate it's frequency output. A single 810 can put out serious volume and low end, and a pair of 810's can be devastatingly loud. The 810 paired with some 15's is a mis-match that will only end in disappointment, imo.
  13. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Actually Im mostly deaf in my left ear.
  14. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    As a guy who toured with two 810's for years (my band loved it, btw) the only thing I can share from experience is I'd run two 215 cabs or two 810 cabs, rather than mixing them up. Most of the time they'll work together better that way. Good luck!
  15. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

My rig is my substitute for bodybuilding;).
    And to be fair, my bands current guitar(d) has 4 Marshall blues breakers (120 watts) on top of a Hiwatt Higain 2x12 and 100w extension cabinet, so I think Im good there.
    My drummer is rather overzealous and bashes the living **** out of his kit (he needs new drum skins about 3 times a month).
    My singer I don't see being a problem, as he likes having us billed as "the loudest band since the Who."

So thank you for your concern (0 sarcasm here), but I think this rig is NECESSARY if anything.
  16. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

As someone who has owned and gigged one of the best 810s and one of the best 215s ever made, I totally agree with the above...

[​IMG]

- georgestrings
  17. georgestrings

Maybe posting on an open forum isn't for you, if you're going to be that whiney...

- georgestrings
  18. bray101

If you're playing the venues The Who did, then go for it. But if you're playing coffee shops up and down the east coast, I would save the labor. IMHO

Hopefully you're playing where The Who did, and then you can be somewhat justified.
  19. bray101

Oh boy. That Mesa 810 will crush everything!
  20. georgestrings

You aren't kidding - I've played in some really loud 2 guitar bands, and never had to push that rig hard at all, although I always gig with full PA support... Once, I cranked up the M-p 600/PH810 rig up to close to half volume after a soundcheck at a local venue that holds about 400 - it was making stuff fall off of walls, and bottles come off their shelves... Needless to say, the owner wasn't too happy - I was asked to never do that again, hahaha!!!

- georgestrings
  21. P Town

P Town Guest

I'm afraid to post a response, because I don't want to be "reported", and find out there is a blemish on my permanent record.