Fender Bassman Identification/Valuation

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by oldtech, Nov 4, 2013.

1. oldtech

oldtech Supporting Member

Lead singer in the band traded for an old Bassman amp. I am not sure if it's a reissue or what. Would appreciate any ideas or info anyone might have on this. Thanks!

Model is 6g6-b 200 Production 71

The Serial Number on the amp is BP11058

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

3. oldtech

4. oldtech

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

FUGAZI.

FEI is the way that the blackface/pre-CBS amps were labelled. FMI indicates CBS production. You can buy fake BF/FEI faceplates.

The 71 on the tube chart makes no sense. tube chart production codes were comprised of two alphabetical characters, not two numeric digits. the tube chart stamps are not authentic.

The Fender logos are not proper for a Blonde Bassman.

The grille cloth looks like reproduction "wheat" cloth that's used on Avatar cabs.

The serial number of BP11058 is a in the range of valid serial numbers for a 1964 Bassman.

To really date the amp, you need to show pictures of the transformer end bells that show the model numbers and EIA date codes, as well as the numeric codes on the backs of the pots. Also, pop the chassis out and take some pictures of the underside of the chassis with the cap doghouse on and removed, and of the interior of the chassis that shows the boards.
  7. oldtech

I will get better pictures of transformers and labels Thursday night.

8. oldtech

Better pics of the amp including transformers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. oldtech

10. oldtech

I have the head sitting on my kitchen table now so if there are other images anyone needs to help identify, I cam make it happen.

Thanks in advance for the help :)
  11. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

Wait a second -- I see something that I didn't see there before:

The date code "NF" on the tube chart makes sense. June 1964.

I can't read the model number on the tranny, but 606-407 for the transformer code says that it was made by Schumacher, 1964, 7th week.

This is beginning to look like a legit amp that has been re-tolexed and given new grille cloth and badges..

Pop out the chassis and let's see some tagboards and wiring, and then you can get better access to the other trannies for all of the numbers.
  12. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

Are you interested in verifying speakers or just the amp head?
  13. oldtech

Thanks W.E.

I will pop it out this weekend and get more better pics. One thing I noticed as well is all the tubes are RCA. The singer traded a 1000 dollar guitar for it and I think he may have hit a home run. He brought it in and wanted me to play through it and had no idea it might be worth money.
  14. oldtech

Speakers too.. I just did not bring cabinet with me.

Will see it at practice next week
  15. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

A valuation is something we cannot give. these are restricted to Supporting members.
  16. Bill Whitehurst

Bill Whitehurst

Toward the end of the 'blond' era, Fender started to use blackface faceplates and the later logo, so that might be original.
    OK, I won't give a value, but I will say he came out pretty good on that trade.
  17. Bill Whitehurst

Bill Whitehurst

Looking back at the pictures, I see that the faceplate does look more black than brown.
  18. zacmac

zacmac Supporting Member

AA864 is the first of the blackface bassman circuits which came out a few months after this one. 6G6-Bs are certainly a transitional amp in terms of Leo's path to design the ultimate bass amp but undeniably influential circuit wise to designs by marshall and traynor. Not the best bass amp but a smoking guitar amp and certainly a valuable one in this shape. As a guitar player and collector of vintage fenders for years this is amp is in great shape and needs to be recapped and enjoyed regularly at loud volumes. You can get yourself a really nice bass rig if you decide to sell it and you certainly made out on the positive trade wise. Take this post over to the vintage amp forum and you will get an accurate idea of what it is worth.
  19. oldtech

It's black. Pictures suffer from incandescent lighting.

I had an amp tech look at it yesterday and he said it was the real deal. He said it's arguably the best 1964 Bassman he's seen since 1964. Only thing not original is the power cord.

Going to take a look inside the cabinet Thursday and check the speakers.
  20. oldtech

Thanks zamac! I'll do that
  21. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    that bassman looks 100% bone stock to me. the flat (non dogbone handle) with smooth blonde tolex cream cupcake knobs, and a raised logo usually made generally in early to mid 1964.
    that one is from June 1964.