fender bassman ten dating (please help!)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by villhelmromero, Feb 23, 2014.

1. villhelmromero

villhelmromero

so I traded a beat up old kirk hammet kh-503 for this bassman ten. its in ok shape cosmetically and has one torn speaker. I checked the insides and all is well. it has mostly cloth covered wires and no mods at all. good thing is no leaky capacitors ect... so I'm just trying to figure the date of this thing out. I love the sound especially with the channels bridged and definitely am not getting rid of this thing anytime soon. but any help on the date would be cool. here are some pics of the transformer # and serial #. it has 2 tube charts. they glued the first one upside down by accident then glued another over it LOL. oh also it has all the original preamp RCA tubes.

Attached Files:

2. villhelmromero

villhelmromero

more pictures

Attached Files:

3. villhelmromero

villhelmromero

one picture at a time I gues.... stupid thing.

Attached Files:

4. villhelmromero

villhelmromero

one... at... a... time...

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

well, I am definitely of the opinion that you should NOT date a Fender Bassman until its is at least 16 or 17, perhaps even 18 in some states.

... sorry could not resist :D

good snag. I have a '78 Fender Studio Bass that just kills and I was able to pin down its manufacture date by the codes on the Transformer. A kind and knowledgeable TBer helped with that.

someone will be along shortly to help you with a real answer.

enjoy!

7. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I've worked on many of these. The last one I worked on came from a high school. It tumbled end over end down a marble staircase at the school. Every finger joint came apart, the baffle glued joints broke, and the transformers bent the crap out of the chassis. I stripped the chassis, and beat it back into shape, reglued all the joints and baffle. Miracuously, the tolex held the cabinet together except for one edge. I got it all back together and it was a really great amp...typical low headroom for this size Fender.

I've seen two versions of this amp. I've worked on had an 8 ohm transformer with four 32 ohm speakers and the other had a 4 ohm transformer and four 16 ohm speakers. The speakers themselves are not very robust, with small voice coils but for the relatively small output of this amp (for a bass amp) they seem to be sufficient.

If a cap job is done (replacement of the electrolytic caps, which should be done every 15-20 years) the B+ filter cap value can be upped considerably which will improve headroom. With a tube amp using a solid state rectifier, which this amp has, one can go higher on the capacitance. This reduces sag and will help keep the voltage up as the amp is pushed.

8. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Transformer is from late 1975 so the amp is probably from 1976.