1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender Blacktop Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StrangerDanger, Mar 20, 2013.

1. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

I just got my Fender Blacktop Jazz Bass and I thought we ought to have a club to share pics, mods, thoughts, etc.

Anyone with Fender Blacktop Jazz or Precision Bass is welcome. (Maybe even the Blacktop guitars?):bag:

Here is a Sweetwater pic of my bass:

[​IMG]

So I guess I'm #1?

Club Members:
    StrangerDanger #1
  2. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

Cool. How does it sound? How's that bridge pickup?
  3. StrangerDanger

Well I can tell you that it definitely likes flats. The stock rounds made it sound tinny and grindy but without punch. I put some D'Addario Chromes on it and it sings. The bridge pup with the tone rolled off sounds very similar to a jazz bridge pup but with a little more heft, a little more solid if you know what I mean but still grindy. The neck pup soloed is a little rounder than a traditional p pup, which makes sense because its a little closer to the neck. With both pups dimed, there is a noticeable mid scoop like all jazz basses have.

The one complaint is that the volume pots seem to have a very narrow range. All the variance is in the first 3rd roll off. Also, and its a minor complaint but the strings dont line up well on the pups but I havent noticed any effect other than visual.

The setup when I got the bass was horrendous and needed a lot of work but I attribute that to a temp increase of about 50 degrees from location to location. I got that straightened out today and put on the flats and I have to say I'm very pleased.

With the bridge volume dimed and the neck rolled off a bit it does a fair Rickenbacker impersonation.

Other than the strings, I also put Dunlop strap locks on it. I'm also thinking about changing those volume pots and possibly putting on a p bass chrome pickup cover over the neck pickup. Maybe a tort guard too. I think the pickups are just fine and dont see a need to change them at all.

If I were to compare the pickups, I'd say they were like the Seymour Duncan SPB-2's.

For $499, its a really nice buy and a really giggable bass. The neck is slim and the finish is pretty good with a little vintage tint that doesnt show in the pics. The fretwork is perfect and no dead spots. The bass weighs 9lbs (lighter than most of these I'm afraid) and balances well. The tuners are the typical Mexi tuners. Not great but certainly functional.
  4. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

Thanks good review. I'm looking at these & modern player jazz & blacktop P.
    How's it feel to be no.1?
  5. StrangerDanger

6. StrangerDanger

So I just ordered a vintage jazz bass wiring kit and a p bass chrome cover from bestbassgear. I'll be back with a review after the upgrades. I think that the new pots will solve the narrow range issue and the chrome cover will just look awesome!
  7. StrangerDanger

Here is what the cover looks like on this bass (courtesy of Photoshop Artist Malak The Mad):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. ShadowVampyre

ShadowVampyre Supporting Member

Looks cool with the cover, I may do that myself.
    I have a white chrome pearl Jazz, and really like it.
    Feels very solid.
    I concur about the volume knobs, almost useless, it seems to be at 10, or 9.. and then off.

I did not like how the strings were too tinny sounding, and just put on DR flatwounds last night, and never played flats. I hate the strings, and am learning to slap, and obviously this was a mistake!

Maybe need to try some ground wounds.

Here are pics of mine.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. StrangerDanger

I cant get your pics to work on my computer or on my phone but if you want to be number 2, its yours! Please post pics as soon as you can.

#1 StrangerDanger
    #2 ShadowVampyre
  10. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Supporting Member

Greetings.....I have a black Blacktop Jazz for about a month now. What a deal ($420 with discount) for a "North American" Fender huh. I am a fan of the elusive Double-P set up, as well as the looks of the Jazz body and neck, as well as the black on black. This bass had it all in looks!

Immediately, I restrung this bass to BEAD and made fine adjustments for the Progressive Groove Metal that I will be using it for, playing gigs here in LA/Hollywood. I found the sound to be bold and a bit different than either the J or the P standard. I use both Pups in combo to achieve the tone of the moment. Either pup by itself sounds tinny, like there is something missing. Both pups bring the world together.

This Jazz is not a Jazz; this is not a P. A great unique arrangement and a Fender nameplate, solid build and finish and sound that kills.
  11. StrangerDanger

Yeah North American, HAHA! I'm glad you're loving it.

OK please post pics when you can.

#3 Fair Warning
  12. StrangerDanger

Thanks, I can see them now. Thats a beauty! I like the blocks with the WCP color. Very cool!
  13. Fair Warning

Those mod-players are Chinese....FYI. The Blacktops are MIM....if it matters to you. I doubt that anything with a China sticker on it will be worth more than $100 in the long run, like the Squires.
  14. StrangerDanger

Beyond that, I thought the MP Jazzes looked cool but sounded very bland. Not at all the same pups as the Blacktop P even though they look similar.
  15. StrangerDanger

I have tried a lot of flats over the years and I think D'Addario Chromes are the best for my sound. I think you'd like them a lot more than the DRs. Guys who can slap can slap with anything. However I think DR HiBeams or FatBeams are THE strings for slap. I dont slap because I dont need to and dont really like the way it sounds but its definitely doable on Chromes.
  16. unclebass

unclebass

I got my black blacktop jazz from a kid on craigslist for $250 with a case. After resoldering a contact at the neck pickup, this thing sounds sweet. I just restrung it with rotosound 77's, haven't had a chance to play it on anything other than a 15watt practice amp. Hoping it sounds great. I usually prefer nickel rounds, wanted to try flats with the precision pickups. Someday will get a custom pickguard, either aged pearl or red tortoise, whatever mood hits me at the time.
  17. StrangerDanger

Great Deal! Post pics when you get a chance.

#1 StrangerDanger
    #2 ShadowVampyre
    #3 Fair Warning
    #4 unclebass

Strange that its all jazzes so far. Where are those BTPB guys at??
  18. Fair Warning

Honestly, I dont think of the BT P as a real P. I think the Jazz version is more of a P than the P is. I dont know what to think of the BT P.

It would be interesting to know the sales results of the BT P vs J.....
  19. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

I was strongly considering a Blacktop P for a while, but the lack of versatility ended up being a dealbreaker for me. If they had come with a 5-way toggle or something, I would have been all over it.
  20. ShadowVampyre

ShadowVampyre Supporting Member

I can't find the ashtray, and pickup cover on the website, you have a link?