Fender Blacktop Jazz Bass Custom.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hand of Doom, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom

[​IMG]

Fender Blacktop Jazz Bass, 2 Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders, fully shielded, Red Pearl custom pickguard!

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I'm sure it kicks all kinds of butt. The stock Backtop Jazz is already a great bass, IMO.:bassist:

3. BassZilla5

BassZilla5

Nice! I've been dreaming of getting one of the black ones and dropping a pair of QP's in it since the line was introduced.
    :bassist:

4. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude Supporting Member

Looks like pure awesomeness. Nice bass man!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Nice! Did you make the pickguard or did you have someone make it for you?

7. aln413

aln413

Thats bada$$!!! Im sure it sounds amazing!!!

8. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom

Nope, had Terrapin Guitars out of Eugene, OR cut it for me... Yeah, it sounds great! So many different tones. I now can get the relative sound of a P-Bass, J-Bass and Rickenbacker with the playability of a J-Bass.

9. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

Tell us more about this bass! Recordings? More GAS-inducing pics? I would love to get my hands on one of these Blacktop Jazz Basses..

10. parmezans

parmezans

Please, for the love of god, record yourself with different tones! List your strings, too. Not many recordings of this bass are available and many people are GASing for it. :oops:

11. tdub0199

tdub0199

I'm liking the redish Pickguard!!!! Here is me & mine....

Attached Files:

12. LucienBel

LucienBel

So I have to ask because I've just recently come back to the Fender scene.....how does the P-Bass pickup sound in the bridge? How is it solo'd and how is it blended with the other neck pickup?

13. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

It has a nasally sound, but with a little more punch than a Jazz pickup. Jaco on steroids, as it were. Both pickups together is a beefy, super Jazz sound. There's one for sale in the classifieds, BTW, in the Boston area, too! You could get a good deal!

14. parmezans

parmezans

Need. Sound samples. Now.

15. parmezans

parmezans

Bump for the sake of sound samples.

16. 4001

I was very skeptical the Blacktop Jazz Bass........until I plugged one in and....WOW!
    It really sounded great.

17. JASON221

JASON221

18. winndaddy

winndaddy

I'm curious how much that bad boy weights?

19. parmezans

parmezans

I tried the Blacktop P and it wasn' too different from the American Standard P. I imagine the J isn't too different from it's standard counterpart. By the way, if anyone is interested, the P is a beast! It has a very sharp tone, I'm sure it would cut through any mix without problems. Worth noting that it had steel rounds on. But the tonal variations aren't something. The tone knob is the only knob that makes a true difference, but even turned to 0, this bass is really sharp. Recommend it to people who play in situations with 2 or more treble instruments.

20. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom

Sorry, I haven't responded. Been busy. I'm going to put a hipshot bridge on it pretty soon. I've been using GHS Pressurewounds, and they sound great and add to the versatility. But as far as the tone goes, it varies depending on how you roll the volumes and tone. Totally a fat-yet-airy "Motown"-like sound at the neck pickup with the tone rolled down and the bridge off too. But a reggae sound with the tone rolled off all the way. I usually use the bridge pickup for blending and can get a nice growly tone with plenty of definition that cuts through the band and tends to sit pretty well in the mix depending if I want to ride above the bass drum or hang with the guitar lines. And of course tone quality is dependent of where you play on the instrument. I usually play up around the fretboard or thumb-resting the neck pickup, but every so often will thumb rest the bridge pickup too. It certainly is nice to have options... I'll try and post some recordings soon.

21. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom

One place where this bass has problems though is playing in a Jazz context. At times I feel like it's too "punchy" to get a nice smooth walking bass line.