1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender Blacktop Jazz neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Laurie Bass, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Laurie Bass

Laurie Bass

Happy New Year to all. I live in rural Nova Scotia Canada so a Nation wide music store (Long and McQuade) is about 70 miles from where I am. There is a small "Mom/Pop" music store locally but they do not have any Fender Blacktop Basses (Jazz or Precision) in stock,,so my question is this. Does the Blacktop Jazz Bass have a glossy finish on the back of the neck like a Squier Classic Vibe or is the finish like the one on the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz with a satin finish. I did have a Squier C.V.Jazz and I loved the sound,,quality build,,but I did not like the thick yellowish finish on the back of the neck. I found on the C.V.Jazz that the finish would feel sticky when my hand would sweat. So anyone have some info for me as I am thinking of ordering in a Blacktop Jazz Bass. Thank you Laurie Potter
  2. jwj1701

jwj1701

It does have a gloss finish. But NOT as thick and "sticky" as the classic vibe series though. I agree with you. I'm not a fan of the sticky high gloss necks and it doesn't look yellowy. I know have Highway one and Am standard jazzes and I love the satin finishes. But I did really like the deeper jazzy sound you get. I may pick one up again someday.
  3. Laurie Bass

Laurie Bass

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond.;)
  4. mudpup

mudpup

I just bought a Blacktop Jazz on Wednesday! Its luvverly.
  5. Laurie Bass

Laurie Bass

Yeah,,the more I read about these the more I want one. Damn there are just so many Fender basses I want to try.:rollno:
  6. lavmonga

lavmonga

Take some green Scotch Brite to it. Usually takes a lot of the stickiness and gloss off.
  7. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

8. StephenDaRacket

StephenDaRacket

The stock finish on the blacktops is glossy, but not bad. A light sanding now and again makes it feel like a satin finish
  9. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I've heard a little light brushing down with some steel wool will do the job. Anyone try it themselves? I may have to put that to use.
  10. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

I have used 1000 grit sandpaper and it worked very well on a Squier CV. But that finish was a lot stickier than the BT finish. I normally abhor gloss necks but I rather like this one but YMMV.