fender Blacktop Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WallyN, Jan 11, 2013.

1. WallyN

WallyN

Ok, here's the story. I am a beginner - novice player. I am not in a band but enjoy playing with some friends now and then.

I am in the market for my first "serious" bass and am looking around and solicting advice. Most that I have spoken too have told me to go for a Fender P.

So here is my question, I am fairly short with small hands and figure that a jazz neck would probably feel more comfortable. With that in mind, would the Fender Blacktop Jazz give me the tonality of a P (with the neck pickup solo'd) and the playability of the Jazz neck?

Welcome to other suggestions

thanks
    Wally
  2. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

I dont think you would find either a P neck or J neck uncomfortable. Both are slim and easy to use. The J is th easiest though for me. You can find J neck on P bodies fairly common. This perticular Blacktop Jazz is very attractive, especially the quality you get for that price. The added tweek of having 2xP Pups on a Jazz body is awesome. The reviews tell the story that the P sound is there.

The BT Jazz sound like a great choice. Another one would be the Modern Player Jazz which has Humbuckers.....a different tweek
  3. unclebass

unclebass

I have the black version of this bass. It sounds great, easy to play, well built, and strong signal. Sounds like precision with either pickup on, but like jazz when both are cranked.
  4. WallyN

WallyN

thanks, I am going to have to take one for a spin
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Definitely give it a try and see how it feels. I got to try one last week and it has some serious "roar". It's very aggressive with both pickups on 'full'. I'd have to try it out again to see if it's capable of more mellow tones. I'm curious how it'd sound with flat-wound strings.

If the neck is slim enough, but a little too long, you could try their short scale basses. Mustangs and the Squier Jaguar SS necks are four inches shorter in length but still have the slim width of a Jazz bass.
  7. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Neo Maxie Zoom Dweebie Supporting Member

If I found one under 9lbs I would buy it. They tend to be pretty heavy.