1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender bridge saddle screws

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassmatt4792, Jan 24, 2013.

1. bassmatt4792

bassmatt4792

So, the other day I realized on of the saddle screws on my Duff McKagan Jazz Bass Special was missing. Literally the tension on the D string was holding the saddle in place without a screw. Since I couldn't find the screw I lost, I took a saddle and screw off of a spare Squier Affinity bridge that I have. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement BLACK saddle and screw? And for that matter, a whole set? These have a slight green tinge to them. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1359046780.851087.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If you can't find a black one, stop at a gun shop and pick up some Birchwood Casey instant bluing. It comes in a small bottle. Apply it to a set screw with a Q-tip and let it cure. You will have a black matte finish on the screw...at least it will be good enough to look right on the saddle. If installing it scrapes the bluing, you can re-apply with Q-tip as needed.

Also suggest you apply either clear nail polish or blue Loctite to the saddle screws before installing - when the goop dries it locks them in place but they will come loose with a hex wrench.
  3. bassmatt4792

bassmatt4792

Thanks for the tip- but that Squier screw is too small to fit into the Fender saddle- so I really need a Fender screw... :/
  4. bassmatt4792

bassmatt4792

I also might be a little unclear- I need the large screw (one of four) that connect and pull the saddles towards the short part of the bridge where the strings go through. I do not need set screws. :)
  5. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas

Disclosures:
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
  6. bassmatt4792

bassmatt4792

They look correct, but I see "American"- do you think they'll fit in my bass, being its MIM?
  7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Sorry - I didn't look at the photo closely enough. Clarity in wording also helps. Mea culpa.

The comment about using instant bluing to darken the screw still applies.
  8. atomicdog

atomicdog

9. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas

Disclosures:
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    Not sure. You'd be safest to test the thread on your screws before ordering. If you have a good hardware store in your area, you can verify the threads, and if they're really good, you can get replacement screws of exactly the type and color you need.
  10. cwsbass

cwsbass

Cheers is no bad