Fender BXR 200

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by PhillipCarr, Mar 24, 2014.

1. PhillipCarr

PhillipCarr

Picked up a Fender BXR at a yard sale for $20, as is. No speaker. I plunked a speaker in it, and I'm getting nothing but a slight buzz. Is it worth taking to a music store for repair, or should I cut my losses?

http://1drv.ms/NMA0px

2. PhillipCarr

PhillipCarr

Link is an image of the amp.

3. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

Did you happen to try both inputs?
    The buzz means it's working but not receiving a signal.

4. PhillipCarr

PhillipCarr

Hmm. I think I did, but thanks for that info. I can pull out the ins and see if the cords are getting good contact. Man that'd be nice! American made Fender amp for $20! My pops gave me the speaker to put in.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. PhillipCarr

PhillipCarr

Now that I think of it, it's more of a hum in the amp itself and nothing coming from the speaker.

7. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

I'd be glad to get 200 watts for 20 $ too!

8. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

That doesn't seem normal at all! I don't think the transformer in an amp has to deal with enough voltage to cause humming. This is a puzzle alright.
    Would it be possible for you to visually inspect the guts of the amp?

9. PhillipCarr

PhillipCarr

Probably, but not tonight. I left the amp at church to get some help with it from the other musicians.

10. anderbass

anderbass

The problem might just be dirty switching contacts in the Effects return jack.

An easy tests to diagnose this problem is to plug your bass directly into the amps Effects return jack, not the normal input. If the amp starts playing like this, your next test is to try patching a guitar cord in-between the amps Effects-send and Effects-return jacks, then plug your bass into the amps normal input to find out if the amp works like this, or not.

Then let us know if the amp produced sound with the first, or hopefully both tests.

11. Twocan

Twocan Supporting Member

Great chorus & comp in those amps - worth working on considering what you paid.

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I gigged one of those for a few years. Was a pretty loud 200w. Heavy like the Peavey combo amps. Sounded dubby. No tweeter. Loved the chorus. The amp section died on me though and I ended up converting it to just a cab. Have the amp checked out. If it can be repaired, you'll have a nice combo amp.