Fender BXR-200

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë, Apr 8, 2001.

1. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

My friend (who is also a bassist) is wondering about the Fender BXR-200 Combo amp. Is it loud enough to cut through a drummer and guitarist? What special features does it have?

2. Angus

Angus Gold Supporting Member

What features? It sounds like crap, if thats a feature. Stay away. Don't get near.

3. Andy Daventry

Andy Daventry

This is good advice...check out the new Bassman range. A hundred times better.

4. LowfreqB

LowfreqB

Fender BXR200....combo

Features 1x15 port cab with 200 watts, and a built in chorus effect. You can turn off the chorus effect.

IMO the amp is a load of crap, and this is why.

Your sound is to muddy,flat and has no definition with the 1x15 provided by fender. The push button Eq's low mid and high make you sound worse in any combination. The quality of construction is substandard, I had to get mine worked on due to connections coming loose. (amp was 1 year old) Built in chorus? LAME!
    Stay away from this combo amp.

My suggestion for another combo in the same price range new $300-$500 would be SWR Workingmans 15, better quality, you can also use extension cabs with it unlike the fender.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Andy Daventry

Andy Daventry

I totally agree with your description of the amp. But a WM15 sound very different to a Fender. If it is a classic fendery sound you are after, ampeg or the new Fender bassman range might be more worth looking into.

7. count_funkula

count_funkula

I had a BXR-200 and it was crap. It was very loud but there was no definition to the sound at all.

Easily the worse amp I have ever played through. I can't believe Fender would actually sell something like that. I feel like my jazz bass should have been
    free for making me suffer through that piece of junk.

Just my opinion.

8. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

It's in the same price range, has a 15' speaker, it's a bit heavier but that shouldn't matter.

Any opinions on this one?

9. count_funkula

count_funkula

Go to the Bass Player Online site, under gear they have a combo amp shootout. The second page of the shootout has 15" combos. That should give you an idea of the best choices.

10. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

11. td1368

td1368

Ow, I have the Bxr300 that I got for the dollars to watt ratio. ( in other words cheap). Is everyones opinion of the Bxr 200 ditto for 300. I know the sounds muddy but I can live with it.
    I haven't tried to many other amps. Is it worth upgrading the head or speaker? Or just dump it.

12. FretGrinder

FretGrinder

My BXR sounded crap, and then it broke.

13. Andy Daventry

Andy Daventry

The BXR100 and 200 are exceptionally bad amps. The 300, on the other hand, is very useable. I used to gig with one (it was the house amp at a bar we had a three month residency at, and I used it instead of carrying my amp about). It is sufficiently clear , loud and punchy to be used. If you like the amp, no reason to upgrade. I think 300 dollars is a fair price for it. I wouldn't buy one myself, but if I had one I would use it.

The other BXR I can use and do use, which is actually very good indeed, is the little 25 watt practice amp. This has a fine sound and is one of the best little practice amps around (or was, until it was replaced by the Bassman 25 which is even better by all accounts).

The BXR60 is useable as a practice amp, though it sounds boxy and mediocre. But there are so many other much better amps out at similar prices that there is no reason to get one.

The BXR range is no longer made. Which says something about it.

14. count_funkula

count_funkula

I would look at Ampeg and SWR. There combos are well priced and are extremely well made and sound very good.

I have an Ampeg B-50R, 50watt, 1x12 and I could not be happier. It sounds great and gets very loud if you need it to. I don't know your application but it probably doesn't have quite the power you need.
    Look at some of there other models, you will be happy with what you find.

15. ASR

ASR

I have a BXR100 (BX100?) that I used for a few months before we started gigging and I was actually somewhat pleased with it.

Ampeg and SWR do make good amps, but I'm sure you can find some less expensive, but good quality combos. I use Ampeg because I got a great deal on the whole rig when a store went out of business here. Don't be in a hurry, either. Go to your local music store on a Saturday and spend a few hours trying out anything and everything to see what works best for you.

16. Andy Daventry

Andy Daventry

There's always someone, isn't there? :D

17. ASR

ASR

Aww man...now I'm the "one in every crowd" guy.
    Why are you gonna pick on the new guy like that?
    Really, I thought it was kinda like the kid on the playground that gets his butt kicked, but he still stood up to the big bully. Guess I'm always rooting for the underdog...

18. Andy Daventry

Andy Daventry

Whatever you do, ASR, don't take me seriously....

19. Jake15

Jake15

I use a BXWhatever200 in my school jazz band(it belongs to the school not me)and it makes me want to cry.In fact I want to cry just thinking about it.

20. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

the bxr amps suck! the hartke combo blows it away.

21. LowfreqB

LowfreqB

I tried the new bassman yesterday with a fender jazz deluxe (you can win one from talkbass!) I was totally taken back by how much the sound quality had improved from the bxr series amps! The speaker must be of better quality or something. I would totally get this amp for small gigs. (I also would buy the jazz deluxe ash body, sweet bass)