Fender CB 100 CE - any good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bob atherton, Jan 18, 2013.

1. bob atherton

bob atherton

I'm looking for a playing friendly, pretty good sounding, semi acoustic bass. These seem to tick the boxes and are not crazy money, in fact quite cheap.

Anyone had any playing experience of these?

Thanks, Bob
  2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I don't think it's really semi acoustic. My Carvin AC40F is semi acoustic. Using the googles I found this on youtube:

It pretty much sounds like every other ABG in that price range, to my ears anyway.
  3. bob atherton

bob atherton

You are right about the semi acoustic, I didn't really engage brain before I wrote that. What I need is an acoustic with pick up.

Have you actually tried one out?
  4. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

If you are looking for volume and price then I would look at the Dean.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/dean-eabc-cutaway-acoustic-electric-bass
    I played one last week and though it needed a setup and decent strings it was still was the loudest of the bunch. i was in GC and there were 4 other ABG's to compare to.

After owning a few ABG's I would recommend researching strings and taking to a good luthier. I have a Fender Kingman and it was quite noticeable when I changed the nut, strings and had it setup correctly.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gorn Captain

No sir, just giving useless feedback knowing full well I have no experience with the bass and thus shouldn't have said anything. But, to my ears it really does sound like every other ABG in that price range.
  7. bob atherton

bob atherton

Hey, your feedback is most welcome with me sir!

The link to the clip showed the bass being just played acoustically and not plugged in.

I'm looking for a bass that will be plugged in as part of our set will be going acoustic. I would also like, if possible, to put some TI flats on it or is this just a very dumb idea?
  8. Gorn Captain

I own this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/ibanez-aeb5e-acoustic-electric-bass
    [​IMG]
    It plugs in and sounds great amplified with tapewounds.
    I used to own this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/dean-eabc-cutaway-acoustic-electric-bass
    [​IMG]
    Sounded good too, but returned it cuz its humungous.
    In my opinion, anything is better than phosphor bronze strings that generally come on ABG's, so flats would probably work, but tapewounds are the best ABG strings, in my opinion.
    But, if you really want a great ABG that sounds awesome and mixes really well with acoustic sets, or any style really, nothing beats the ubass.
    This is bluegrass, but all acoustic instruments: