1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender CIJ '62 Reissue Fretless Jazz

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by gotfunk21, Dec 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gotfunk21

gotfunk21 Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Fender CIJ '62 Reissue Fretless Jazz - [DEL]$750[/DEL] $650 shipped CON US (obo)

OK. So I give up. I'm not a fretless player. I really really want to be because it sounds awesome, but I never play this and don't have any use for it. Bought it used, had it for a year and it's pretty much never left the house. I know I'm going to want a fretless as soon as it's gone, but WANT and NEED are 2 different things (so my wife says :spit:)

When I got it, I immediately took it to get some work done by Maurilio Mina of Nordstrand fame. (He does brilliant work btw)

We added a gloss poly to the neck which feels beautiful and I prefer to natural unfinished rosewood. Installed a Gotoh 201 bridge and a Tort pick guard. I will also include the original bridge, which has the threaded saddles. Mo also padded the pickups, cleaned up the nut and set everything up great.

It should be with someone who knows how to handle it. There are some bumps and bruises. I tried to take photos of the bad stuff. The worst 2 are a scuff on the back side edge, and a chip on the body at the neck heel. That one is through to the wood, but nothing else is. Just a couple minor pencil tip bumps.

The neck and fretboard are perfect. It's always had flats and has very little play time. It clocks in at 9 pounds even on the trust bathroom scale.

I will consider trades for P basses with J necks, or P/J basses with J necks. And should be Alder/RW/3TSB/Tort configuration. I'm really into the vintage P bass thing, but need a jazz neck. Will also consider some Bartolini MK5 pups, or Nordstrand DC5 pups. Maybe an Aguilar Tone Hammer outboard pre or another outboard preamp/di that has phantom power and a variable midEQ. Otherwise, not looking for anything other than $$.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. betavision

betavision Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Is the poly on the neck similar to an epoxied neck?
  3. Ronen

Ronen

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0

Looks beautiful. What is the string spacing on the Gotoh bridge?
  4. gotfunk21

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Standard spacing on the Gotoh should be 19mm I believe, but I just measured and it's 47/62 inches at the bridge, which is 18.7mm.
  5. gotfunk21

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

6. gotfunk21

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Price drop to $650
  7. addictions

addictions Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

That's a beauty. GLWTS.
  8. krustwell

krustwell

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0

According to this site, it was made, sorry "Crafted", between 1999-2002. (EDIT: However, according to a post below, Fender says 1995. Which is weird, b/c the site I was on (Fender.com) had different date ranges for MIJ vs CIJ and 1995 sounds closer to the MIJ date.)

Looks great. I had an MIJ '62 P-bass that I loved and sold on TB a couple years ago. Still miss it.

Tempting.
  9. Bulky Bass

Bulky Bass Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Is the body alder or basswood and are the tuners standard or vintage reverse? What kind of case does it come with? Thanks!
  10. gotfunk21

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Here are some pics of the case. Been getting a lot of questions about it. Sorry they're crappy pics, but you get the point ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. gotfunk21

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

The tuners ARE the reverse tuners. I didn't know there was a possibility it wasn't alder. I thought basswood has less of a grain pattern, and this looks pretty open. After some research though, I'm honestly not sure. Maybe someone can chime in with a professional opinion, but I believe it to be alder. It looks like alder to me. But I bought it used and don't want to mislead anyone. I honestly am not 100% sure. I'll send Fender an email and see if they can run the SO# for details.
  12. gotfunk21

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Here's the info I just got directly from Fender

Hello Jacob,

The serial number you have provided corresponds with a 62 Jazz Bass completed 8/1995. The Body is going to be constructed out of Alder. The neck profile is 7.25". The pickups are Vintage 60's Jazz style Single coils.

Best Regards,

Paul Levesque

Fender Consumer Relations
  13. gotfunk21

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Some nibbles, but still available.
  14. gotfunk21

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

15. hfc7713

hfc7713

0   0   0

I am interested.
    I just put an ad on CL WTB fretless. I played years ago and want to get back into it. The bass looks really nice and I have no aversion to MIJ. I own a Gedy Lee and the quality is all there.
    One serious question.
    I already own a fretless which I have had for years but not played for years. It needs some TLC right now so I cannot use it for my new project so I need one ready to go. My question is this.... the one I own has always from new had a dead spot on the G string at c#. It has always annoyed me and affected the love affair I had with it. I have kept it because it was a gift from my lovely wife. Does yours have a dead spot anywhere???

Thanks, Chris
  16. gotfunk21

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

I know that Fender dead spot is notorious. I'll try to post some audio samples for that, and the people asking about the "Jaco" sound thing.
  17. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0

This is a Beautiful bass.
  18. gotfunk21

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

OK. Again, I'm not a fretless guy, so go easy on me :bag:

I listed to Continuum a bit this morning and tried to learn a little to play as a reference for anyone interested in how the bass sounds. One is just the bass straight into a DI with no EQ. Tone rolled off. I did another one with some reverb and a bit of amp simulation with a little EQ just because it sounded so cool (to me)

I also walked up each string for anyone interested in deadspots. I do hear/feel one a little around the G string, C#/D area. Typical Fender I believe. But I don't see much variation in the wave forms. I don't have a lot of experience with deadspots, but just want to mention it FWIW.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  19. Jack667

Jack667

0   0   0

I'll take it!
    :)
  20. gotfunk21

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

On hold pending payment