1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender classic 50's vs AVRI 62

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkybass, Dec 1, 2012.

1. funkybass

funkybass

I want to get a p bass and put some flats on it. I've narrowed it down to a classic 50's or a AVRI 62. I can get a AVRI new for $1159, but is it worth $450 more?
  2. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

Differences the AVR has over the Classic series:

Vintage spec pickup, CTS pots, cloth wire

Nitrocellulose lacquer finish

Covers/mute included

Vintage style brown tolex/wood case

Superior fit and finish

Made in USA

To me it is worth it.
  3. funkybass

funkybass

I have always wanted the 62 RI. I'm afraid they are phasing them out. I know they totally charged the AVRI guitars recently.
  4. atomicdog

atomicdog

It does seem that they're phasing them out. I've thought about getting one, but I have a AMerican STandard P Bass that sounds pretty funky, now I've swapped out the hi-mass bridge with a vintage bent metal bridge. If you can afford the AVRI and like the neck and tone, go for it.
  5. sharpbass

sharpbass Supporting Member

Yes
  6. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

What steps did you take to fix the bent metal bridge to the (I'm assuming post 2008) Am Std? Was thinking of doing this later myself.
  7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Find a used Fender RW 2008-2010 (road worn) P-bass. These are sweet P-basses. Cheap. Under $600, IIRC.
  8. garp

garp

Play both. Then decide. I did.

Signed,
    A *very* happy Classic ‘50s P owner
  9. Jwood

Jwood Supporting Member

If you've got the money I'd go for the AVRI, but the Classic series are very nice guitars too
  10. aetheldrea

aetheldrea

Now's the time to pick up a '62 if you can afford it. I am also a happy classic '50's owner, but the '62 's are selling at great prices right now, and they might soon get scarce.
  11. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    American Vintage RI EVERYTHING is getting blown out for the NEW American Vintage Line which will run us about $1500-$1800 STREET....for the blessing of those basses made on new 'old' machines.

Woo
  12. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

BIG +1 !!

I like mine a LOT!!
  13. ShowLow

ShowLow Don't want no treble. Supporting Member

I like 'em both. The MIM '50s is a price performer if you buy used ($450-500 usually). Sounds great and my used 2011 is really well put together. Had to do a little tweaking to the setup to get even volume out of the strings. This is a working man's bass that I would happily take out to church or the eventual paying gig.

The AVRI '62 is just a beautiful thing and the tone with flats is pure P bliss. Mine is alive with resonance. Prices for new ones are low right now...at least one TB'er on Hot Deals reported that he worked a sub-$1000 deal online! Less than I paid used. Still, that nitro finish is delicate and a bass worth a G might be a bit much for some bassists to take to a gig. (Of course, the young dude playing the Fodera at our big office party the other night might disagree.)

The 1.75" nut width on both basses takes getting used to, especially if you are accustomed to a J neck.

You cannot go wrong, just a matter of taste and budget. :bassist: JMHO, YMMV.
  14. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

Overall, the AV line isn't going anywhere. The price points will, however, be increasing considerably (if the new 6-stringers are any indication).
    But the extra ching will also get you a more vintage-correct instrument.
    So, if you want an AV, and like the current stuff, now is definitely the time to pounce.
  15. PJRL

PJRL

Go for the AV 62, the are great and I wouldn't worry about useing it, it's what they are for.
  16. aetheldrea

aetheldrea

The '62 reissue P is no longer listed as a current model on Fender's website, so this is definitely your last chance to get a new one. Looking forward to what the new year might bring as a replacement...
  17. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

In practice the MIM's major problems will probably be:
    - lousy pickup (easily changed)
    - bulletproof finish on body (neck should be OK but not as good as AVRI)
    - resell value (?)
  18. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

Look for a used 62 AVRI....mine was $750. Best bass I've owned.