Fender Classic Series ´70s Jazz bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grifo, Feb 23, 2010.

1. grifo

grifo

So after researching the forum I didn´t find one and I´ve seen that pretty many of us have it and some wanted a club as well...so here it is!
    Make yourself confortable, post your pics, discuss about whatever might concern the Classic ´70s Jazz bass...and enjoy!!!
    Here´s mine

[​IMG]
  2. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time. Supporting Member

Awright...I'm in!

Mods: BadAssII bridge, StewMac roller string tree, R. Cocco Nickel Rounds - 45-105

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. grifo

grifo

I also upgraded mine with a Badass II, it definitely improves the sound, as for the strings I use D´Addario EXL 170, I really dig feel and sound of ´em. By the way cool background :)
  4. electracoyote

electracoyote

Excuse my ignorance, are we talking about the recent MIM line?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. grifo

grifo

yes we are:D
  7. AaronD

AaronD

[​IMG]

Bad quality i know.
    Numbers?
  8. grifo

grifo

Someone said numbers? ok here we go:

1- grifo (me)
    2- Engine207
    3- AaronD
  9. AaronD

AaronD

Woho 3rd member of my first club!:hyper:

I have not changed my bridge so should I?
  10. grifo

grifo

I think it´s a matter of taste, you can try it and if you don´t like it you can go back to the stock bridge. What you get with a Badass II (directly from Leo Quan´s site) is: will produce sound-coupling effects creating tremendous increases in "ATTACK," sustain, and clarity of notes.
    PS: congrats for the #3 :)
  11. geeza

geeza

Disclosures:
    Huh?
    I'm in. I'll post a pic as soon as I take one.
    The only thing I've done so far is put on a Badass II. I always do with any bass I buy - there is definitely a difference.
  12. AaronD

AaronD

I might just do that.
    Or i might buy a new tort pickguard?
    I will just have too see.
  13. Engine207

You will definitely get better "growl" with tort than the black pickguard. Be sure to go with brown tort, or you may get some hum when soloing either pickup... ;)

By the way Grif...why no capital B in the thread title for "bass"? No big deal...I'm just saying...
  14. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

[​IMG]

the sunburst is a classic 70s jazz and the black with white pickguard is a classic 70s jazz with an allparts neck. its neck is on the gunmetal blue on the right with the pearl pickguard.
  15. Engine207

Maybe think about checking out Fender Jazz Basses. I really like mine and you might, too! :smug:
  16. Anthon

Anthon

Say!

I see you are all fans of '70 Fender J-bass...

I wonder - how does it compare to a vintage '70 J-bass? I wanted to buy a new bass guitar (I play funk-rock), and I just love the sound of the J-bass, can't get enough of its bright growly sound...

Would new Fender Classic '70 J-Bass reissue be the best option? Because some people say that they are not what they used to be... but then again, people always say that, no matter what.... they say that for instance G&L products are better.
    I really like the one on the left (picture posted by hypercarrots)

So what do you think? Sorry, kinda new to J-basses... I play crappy Ibanez :D
  17. Engine207

These are not truly "reissues".

The original 70s basses had the truss adjustment at the heel, not a bullet on the headstock. Also, the logo is not entirely accurate, and they're MiM.

I think this bass is more "inspired by" 70s Jazzes, but it's a fantastic sounding, feeling and looking instrument. I had a Highway One Jazz, and sold it to buy this one. No looking back... [​IMG]
  18. grifo

grifo

wanna call it a touch of...creativity? :smug:
  19. grifo

grifo

Well I also play funk-rock and to my ears the sound of this bass is the best thing I tried, and I think that if you try the Classic ´70s Jazz bass for your music there are pretty many chances that you fall in love with it´s sound, and with this I totally agree with Engine207 when he says that it's a fantastic sounding, feeling and looking instrument. My advice? this is the way to go :bassist:
  20. Anthon

Anthon

Well, of course, I won't hear anything bad about '70 J-Bass in a thread called "Fender Classic Series '70s Jazz bass Club", won't I? :D

But I do like the growly and dirty sound of the J-bass... I really think you can't go wrong with it... I was just wandering - maybe there is a better J-bass than new Fender J-bass.

720 euro (the price of this particular model), is of course about as much as I'm willing to spend, right now - because I'm not a pro, by any means. Keyboard is the only instrument I can play good enough.... bass is for home recording-composing, for now at least...
  21. electracoyote

electracoyote

Maybe someone who owns one of these will weigh in with an opinion. I love this look and configuration, I wanted it in sunburst, so I went with a CIJ 75 RI. It plays and sounds pretty nice, a little heavy at nearly 11 pounds, but I'm not complaining.

I'm thinking maybe I would have done just as well if I had gone with the MIM version.

How would you describe your MIM 70's J when compared to either a CIJ or USA of the same configuration?