1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender Classic Series 50s P vs Fender Cabronita

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AaronVonRock, Mar 19, 2014.

1. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I'm looking at buying one of these two basses. I really like both of them and am having a hard time choosing between the two. Anyone have any experience (good or bad) with either of these or prefer one over the other? Yes, I've read threads about both of them and have a feel for the general consensus, but I was maybe hoping for some sort of new insight when both are discussed in an A/B comparison.

I would get the bass shipped from the US to Bangkok. Both are used but in good shape. The total cost is $695 for the Classic Series Black Laquer with gold anodized pickguard and $540 for the Candy Apple Red Cabronita.

Thanks.

Edit: I'll throw the Schecter Model-T into the mix as well. I really like the looks of the black one with the maple neck and fingerboard.

2. pudgychef

pudgychef

I had a Classic 50s that was a great bass. The older Poly finish. Loved the neck on it - nice sounding pickup - good pots etc.

The new Laquer version is bound to be great..and I think they come with that nice tweed case as well

I have played a Cabronita, but only in a store setting - it was quite nice as well. Different vibe to the sound, good look. I would like to pick one up sometime.

Either would be a treat - but the Classic 50s P is hard to beat (imho, ime, ymmv)

3. Scotty DelMar

Scotty DelMar Supporting Member

4. PWRL

PWRL

Well, I have an MIM Cabronita and I love it. Never played a classic series, though. My advice would be to compare the neck specifications and try to think about how you would take to either one of them.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

I haven't played the Cabronita, but I would think in terms of whether you want the old school P-Bass sound, or something a little different. I have played the '50s, and it's a high-quality piece.