1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender Classic Series 60s vs 70s Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Paran0idAndroid, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Paran0idAndroid

Paran0idAndroid

I've recently played the 60s J Bass and it is a really good bass. Low action and standard "C" neck. I never tried the 70s J Bass but it looks heavenly wicked:bassist:

Which one do you think is better?

2. Mr.Fingers

Mr.Fingers

The 70's has a thicker neck (more chunky) and the bridgepickup is 1/2" further to the back, giving it a more snappy, trebly sound. Both are very well built basses, I prefer the sixties because... well... it's THE classic J-sound for me (and the burst is nicer, warmer).

3. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    I have'nt played the " new " '70's Fenders, but I had one of the actual '70's Jazzes, and it had a very chunky neck, and weighed close to 9.75 lbs. Back pain city. As soon as I bought a new Jazz, the back pain went away. Don't know if the new '70's weigh that much. Also, that half inch closer to the bridge makes alot of tonal difference, imho.

4. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

neither is better, they are very nice for what they do .. but they are very different, so it is a matter of what fits your needs best ...

..not to be a smart a&&, but its kinda like asking is a size 9 or a size 11 shoe better? ... you can wear both, but one will fit YOU better than the other ... JMHO

5. Register to disable this ad