Fender Coronado hard case

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Avezzano, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Avezzano

Avezzano

If it happens that you are just so happy with the brand new Coronado II reissue that you just bought, but you are simply without any hard case to protect it and you do not know where to point your attention, here's what worked super: I simply followed the f64 (fellow TBer) advise and on perfect trust in TB I bougth me the Casady Epi case, that in the end revealed being a P-E-R-F-E-C-T one under all the aspects (it fits like a glove); take a look:

[​IMG]
  2. krevercomb1

krevercomb1 Supporting Member

That's what I've been looking for! Outstanding!!!
  3. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

How is that bass.. I saw it in my latest MF catalog... can you hook us up with a review?
  4. Avezzano

Avezzano

The Coronado is one of the most controversial instruments in history! Either love it or hate it. This reissue has several differences from the original:

the tuners that originally were lollipops (oval) and now are elephant ear

the headstock front face that was either matching with the body or black and now is natural (even if aged-yellowed)

the pickguard that was missing on the original and added on this reissue

the bridge that was floating/slanted/proprietary "peculiarly - scaled" design on the original and is fixed-inserted-bolt in on the reissue (using a rather standard off the shelf product)

hollow body was the original where the reissue has a instead a beefy center wooden block that pushes the weight to 10 lbs (4,5 kg) but definitely defeats the neck diving characteristic that the original had.

Pickups are different, too; don't know much more: Thundertrons on the original (somebody will better detail) where the ones on the reissue are the same of the La Cabronita and fully adjustable into the pu cavity for the overall height and with individual string screws, where the original were just screwed-fixed on the top of the body.

Fit/finish are just perfect on this reissue: fret job is to die for and the tonal possibilities are a lot.

It just plays as a modern versatile solid body should and the short scale, coupled with a "Ric on steroids" overall tone, mixed with an appealing aesthetic surely makes you drool a lot!!! Just buy one, dig, familiarise and treasure it...

;) V.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

My Candy Apple Red Coronado arrived on the truck an hour ago. I've replaced the stock strings with D'Addario Chromes (medium scale, that G tuner is a long way from the tailpiece!). I'll do a setup this afternoon. Sure is a stunning bass, I can say that much right now. I haven't owned a short scale bass since the late 60's, I'm sure I'll adapt in a few minutes of playing. I'll post my impressions once I've got it set up to my liking. I bought the Epi case, too, and it does fit like a glove. It's a newer model case, the old one having the big "E" logo, and this one has the full "Epiphone" logo. Nothing a well placed sticker won't cover, though .. grin!
  7. krevercomb1

krevercomb1 Supporting Member

Since I don't have the bass in hand yet (counting the minutes) would this case be an option?

Road Runner RRMBA17 ABS Molded Acoustic Bass Case
    Inside dimensions:
    Length: 50"
    Upper Bout: 13"
    Lower Bout: 17.5"
    Depth: 6.25"
    This one sounds awful flimsy.

Maybe I should just suck it up and go with the Casady or the Fender BG 32 case.

May be time to start looking for that sticker.
  8. Avezzano

Avezzano

why risk? The Epi is just perfect; and frankly I personally have zero problems with the Epiphone brand signature printed on it: would you cancel the Fender logo on a Fender strap only because you are playing a Gibson? Epi is the manufacturer of my case; so what?

;)
  9. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Gold Supporting Member

Wonder if my Dearmond starfire would fit in there....looks like it would.
  10. Avezzano

Avezzano

Chance are you are right: remember the Casady is a 34" scale instrument.
  11. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

I am not aware of any original having Thundertron pups, they either have DeArmond or Rowe. Mine had Rowe as stock until the bridge went out. Then I put in a Lindy Fralin custom pup at the bridge.

Thanks for the tip on the case. Mine is original and looks like it's been to hell and back. The original was made by victoria luggage company. here's some pics:

https://www.google.com/search?q=vic...yHKLs2QXHq4DICw&ved=0CF0QsAQ&biw=1024&bih=648

12. Avezzano

Avezzano

I don't know much about the original PUs on the Coronado, indeed. So they were DeArmond fixed on the top with screws. and not adjustable (just the individual string screws)
  13. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

Not to mention that the new Epi case is a VERY nice case.
  14. Avezzano

Avezzano

Yes: very much so!