Fender CS 64 NOS Price?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sandwich5027, Feb 2, 2014.

1. sandwich5027

sandwich5027 Supporting Member

There is a 64 NOS on Sweetwater and it's $3120. I like it but....it's a lot. I've heard they go around $2600...The thing like though is it has 9.5 radius neck, rather than the 7.25 which I don't like that much(too round)....Should I pull the trigger? Do they negotiate on the price?

2. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    The $2,600 price range was about 5-6 years ago. Fender's CS prices have been going up since then and Sweetwater along with the other retailers follow suit with what Fender says. You could ask them. Call Robby Resnick--1(800)-222-4700 x1368 and tell him Ron Larson sent you. I've purchased a lot of gear from him over the years and he takes good care of me every time. May help with a deal. That particular CS Jazz you're looking at has been there for at least a year so they'd probably like to move it out. Good luck!

3. sandwich5027

Ok thanks so much!

I love flatter necks...that radius is great for a jazz IMO.

I thought all CS basses have 1/4 sawn
    necks...this one does not specify...

4. Mastermold

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    I just pulled it up to look at the photos and you can see in the close ups of the headstock and back of the neck that it is quartersawn. I guess the description isn't complete.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sandwich5027

How the heck can you tell that! I always wondered how people spot a bass in photo and can tell the spec on a neck! Sweet...

7. sandwich5027

Plus they let me finance bass in 3 payments for only $10 charge...

8. Mastermold

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
  9. sandwich5027

I see....wow, never could tell that until you just pointed that out. That's a big help to my decision too because I was a little upset the neck wasn't 1/4 sawn for that price...

10. sandwich5027

Seems to be conflicting stories that NOT ALL CS have 1/4 sawn neck...That would be ridiculous.

11. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 I don't even know the different neck profiles.

12. JFN

JFN Supporting Member

Sweetwater can and does negotiate on price. You can call them and get connected to a Sales Engineer. I would think you can get 12-15% off the web price. They are good to work with and I've had the same Sales Engineer for 25 years now, if that says anything.

John

13. sandwich5027

That's great news...I'm doing the payment plan so I hope they still discount it with pay. plan too!

14. sandwich5027

So, do we know if all CS necks are 1/4 sawn???

Before I pull the trigger I really would like to know....Otherwise if it isn't, why such the high price tag on a passive basic 3 color sun bass....I know its a cs and well built but why else?

15. Mastermold

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    Not all CS necks are quartersawn, I've seen a few 5 string basses that had flatsawn necks. But the one you're looking at is quartersawn so that shouldn't matter; right?

As for why so much money that's just what they charge because the market supports it. So does Lakland, Sadowsky, etc. for comparable bass. There's no magic to them, they're made of wood just like any other instrument but they are well made and attention to detail is better than on typical production basses.

16. sandwich5027

I went on CS website and it says 64 j bass comes stock maple neck not quartsawn. So why wouldn't sweetwater say that it is in add?...that's a big selling point...I believe you when you say it is but what if you're wrong. Haha...

17. sandwich5027

Btw the SB is a blowout....I cant believe im on my phone more than watching game...

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What game? That was no game. Besides, it's two teams nobody cares about. No Steelers, no Bucs, no Jags = no ratings.

19. sandwich5027

Tell me about it!...No Jets and I couldn't care less!

20. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

All I care about is that Peyton Manning LOST. Now we will be spared a month of seeing his mug on every newspaper & magazine cover headlining praise for the best quarterback in the universe!

21. sandwich5027

Oh boy Sweetwater came down to $2800 and free overnight del...its either jazz or lakland 4-14....decisions decisions!