1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender CS Geddy Lee '72 Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superdick2112, Aug 23, 2013.

1. superdick2112

superdick2112 Registered Spector Addict

A dealer near me has something special on order.

A Fender Custom Shop Geddy Lee '72 Jazz Bass, Limited Edition, 1 of only 50 to be built. Sale Price - $6100.00

I'm betting all 50 will be sold within just a few weeks of release, and like the Gibson Ltd. Edition Alex Lifeson ES-355, the 2nd hand prices will do nothing but go up.
    I'm not planning on buying it (very happy with my 1st-year CIJ Geddy, Thank You), but I am eager to see & play this one. :bassist:

2. bmc

bmc

For that kind of money, you could buy a real 72 Jazz that will appreciate in value.

I'd like to see what they produce. CS basses are the most impressive basses coming out of Fender these days.

3. IPA

IPA

I wouldn't mind seeing it. I hope it doesn't just look like a lightly reliced Geddy signature model but I have a feeling that it will.

4. superdick2112

You could indeed find a real '72 for that price, but you might have to find & try several of them before you found one with the playability & sound of a CS model.
    I agree that the CS is putting out Fender's best work these days, and I'm liking their Japanese offerings as well.

I haven't seen the official specs yet, but I'm guessing it will sport a medium to heavy relic treatment.
    I'm wondering which version they chose to duplicate?
    Neck # 1 (original, black blocks), # 2 (replacement neck from Geddy standard sig. model, black blocks), or # 3 (current CS neck with pearloid blocks).
    I'm guessing the back of the neck will be unfinished like all of his current Jazz basses.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. IPA

IPA

I wish they would put one out with pearloid blocks... I'd be all over that.

7. bassnyc1

bassnyc1

Big +1

My dream since I started playing (yikes!) 29 years ago.....

8. superdick2112

Wow, I would have thought the announcement of a new Fender Custom Shop model - especially a new Geddy Lee model - would have generated a bit more conversation than we have going on here....:meh:

9. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78! Supporting Member

Sure would love to see some specs on that like weight and pickup type. My Geddy feels great in my hands,couldn't imagine how the CS would play.

10. winterburn69

winterburn69

These are gonna be hot.