Fender Custom Shop 1964 Jazz Bass WOW!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jawbone, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Jawbone

Jawbone

Just pulled the plug on one of these from GC Used board. Being shipped from Mission Viejo store, probably get it Monday or Tuesday. I've been looking at the Custom Shop basses for some time now, and finally decided to explore the used market.

I can't believe what I found: '64 vintage (whatever that means) Custom Shop - Olympic white with tort pick guard, they told be it's a 9 out of 10 no signs of any wear, HSC, missing metal covers (they're a pain anyway) no cert or anything but all the proper marking. They told me it's original Custom Shop, ok!!$1,599, seriously, from 3-4Gs "new" to $1,600. 30 day return policy - I don't know why people are bitching about GC.

Anyway, we'll see what it's like when it arrives!
  2. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

NICE.

I play a NOS '64 from the CS. Very nice. I think you will enjoy it.
  3. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I saw that one on there, nice deal.
  4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

What! A mint Fender CS for $1600!!! There is no emoticon adequate to describe my jealousy.

Although, you know the deal, lets get some pron ASAP!!

Apparently Fender doesn't hold their value as much as we all thought :D
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jawbone

Jawbone

I stand corrected - I guess from the '60s that would be Artic white!! Yea I was going to pull the trigger at 1700 then they knocked 200 off the price. crazy - can't wait!!
  7. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

any more!!!:hyper:

trying to strike a deal on a CS64 Relic right now. waiting for photos from a local seller. he wants $2500. for one built in '10. there are about 5 CS Fenders at Rocker Guitars in SF. the owner is dumping them at his cost!:) lots of choices!

anyways,.. ENJOY IT! (i know you will)
  8. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

60's is Olympic White. Arctic White is the color of they use on the MIM Basses. Nice score by the way. The Fender CS instruments are killer!
  9. Jawbone

Jawbone

Well, it finally showed up!! More than I could have ever imagined!! Seriously!!
    Due to the picture on the GC site I thought it would be your basic "used" Custom Shop '64 Jazz bass gently played with a few nicks, scratches and dents here and there. I didn't set my expectations all that high. After all, how could they let a pristine Custom Shop '64 go out the door for $1,599.00.

Low and behold this baby is practically brand new. Not a scratch, dent or abrasion on the bass. This is one beautifully crafted bass. Neck pocket is nice and tight. Fret board and neck are to die for – very different color and appearance then I’ve seen. Light body which is well contoured.

The first major thing I noticed was how well it fit against your body. Definitely cut from a different pattern than the Squier CV and HWY1 Jazz I had before this. Tone is clean and bright which you’d expect with a Jazz. (For the deep down and dirty work I can always turn to my P). Incredible smooth and fast playing bass (for as long as I got to mess with it last night).

The part I wasn’t expecting was what arrived with the bass – a Custom Shop case, certificate of authenticity, the vintage bridge and pickup cover (still in their original wrapping), set of new LaBella flats and a lot of other nick knacks.

Title says it: WOW, (WOW, WOW). I can't believe who in their right mind would have sold this thing to GC, (but it was in OC). First off, never, ever, thought I’d be able to afford one of these babies and secondly I’ve never been this excited over an instrument. Picks tonight or tiomorrow.

All I can say is continue to search for USED basses on GC and Musicians’ Friend - there are some deals to be had out there that hopefully make you as happy as I am.
  10. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Gold Supporting Member

Congrats! That's great it came with the COA. That alone makes it worth a lot more than what you paid for it (besides it was a good deal even without the cert)!
  11. Modern Growl

Modern Growl Supporting Member

Doesn't exist without photo's.
  12. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

Congrats!
    Let's see some photos! :hyper:
  13. derridiandrift

derridiandrift

That sounds amazing. I'm also in the category of being interested but could never afford to spend the cash on CS.

+1 for pics. Let's see this thing!
  14. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Congrats on the score :)
  15. Alex1984

Alex1984

WOW. NICE SCORE!
  16. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Agreed. Pics or it doesn't exist!