1. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

Fender Custom Shop '59 Precision Relic (Loaded) Neck - Rosewood

Discussion in 'For Sale: Accessories' started by thebrian, Nov 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Supporting Member

SOLD!

[​IMG]

Fender Custom Shop '59 P Relic Neck - Rosewood Slab
    Loaded w/ the Original Relic'd Tuners & Tree

This neck feels great.. buuuuuut... it has a crack in the fretboard, at the truss rod end. It's very hard to see and doesn't photograph very well at all because it isn't spread open or anything. But in the last pic (in the link below), you can see the very thin line in the middle of the board, between the 19th and 20th frets. It goes from the truss rod through the highest 3 frets.

When I got the neck, the truss rod was already very tight, but it played excellent where it was. After a few months, I noticed it developed a crack. The truss rod still turns fine now, but I had to back it off about 1/2 turn so the crack wouldn't spread. After I did that, I give you my word that the neck was/is still fully playable. The action just came up from low to medium because the added neck relief.

I was running TI flats (which are low tension strings) when the neck was still mounted to a body, and in the shape that it's in now. If you use those strings or similar, the neck will play fine with medium action. And I do mean medium, when I say medium. And it really does play and feel fantastic. Many of my musician friends have played this neck when it was a full bass and commented how great it felt - without knowing about the crack or anything. However, I will say.. if you use higher tension strings like Roto 66s or similar, the action will be too high for (my tastes at least). LaBella "JJs" are out of the question, lol.

The profile is very thin and wide (1.75" nut). It feels very much like a Fullerton AVRI neck. The nitro finish has some cool wear on the back (done by the Custom Shop). The (vintage-size) frets are still like new and the fretwork is top notch.

These loaded CS relic necks go for $1000-1200+ used on ebay, but with the issue this neck has, I set the price to what I think is really fair, considering it still plays good. And it can be repaired if you have the know how, or know a good luthier.

Click Here For All The Pics (12)

$425 Shipped (CONUS)
    Paypal or Money Order Accepted.
  2. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Beautiful neck. I wonder what such a repair would cost?
  3. thebrian

I don't know, but I would think the crack could just be sealed with some resin glue and that would be pretty cheap. I don't think it's bad enough to warrant removing the fretboard and all that, since it plays fine.
  4. christopherogut

christopherogut Supporting Member

I owned a 2007 CS '59 Precision, relic'ed, and must say that these necks are KILLER. Even with that little crack this neck is a beauty and shouldn't last long! Good luck!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. thebrian

You're right it didn't last long! Neck is sold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.