Fender Custom Shop '66 Slab Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 55pbass, Aug 31, 2009.

1. 55pbass

55pbass

2. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    Don't know. Pricey however so I hope it's cool.
  3. slick_tu

slick_tu Supporting Member

I read somewhere that some of these slab-bodied (no contour shaping for arm rest or body) basses were made for the UK market back in the 60's.
  4. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

yes, I believe they manufactured about 200 of them for UK sales. The price is rediculous - i'd way rather put one together made of parts...

I wonder if any TBer has a REAL one...I know Entwistle had 3 of them...one or two he smashed and threw the parts together in other franken-basses
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

So are we talking the original single-coil style? If so, wouldn't this kind of make it a reissue of a reissue? :p

I'm gradually getting used to my MIJ slab body '51 RI but I've got to say: of all the improvements made to the original design, the forearm bevel is one of the best.
  7. DeliriumTremens

DeliriumTremens

I think the number was more like 20, not 200
  8. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Nope, these are split-coil Ps made with slab bodies. There was a small run made in 1966 or so. They were supposedly more grindy and aggressive than the typical P. I think Entwistle used a P bass made partly from the parts of two of his slabs on Live at Leeds.
    http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/equipment/bass/equip-entwistlegear-67-71.html
  9. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

10. coronado3

coronado3 Supporting Member

From warmoth, just order a '51 body P bass and have it routed as a 57 P
  11. Meddle

Meddle

Lol I made one of these from an old slab body I found in a music shop that was for sale at as a low price. It was a rolling table in my flat kitchen for a while. It made a heavy unergonomic uncomfortable bass!
  12. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

:hyper: Pics!?
  13. plopswagon

plopswagon

couldn't find anything on the reissue. here's mr. entwistle's

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. edmonstg

edmonstg

An original 66 slab Precision bass is among the rarest collectible Fender basses out there. Over the years there has been much discussion of these slabs on the various forums, Vintage Guitar Magazine recently ran a full-length feature story on the subject, and there is now a book available which pays tribute to these rare beasts, written by a guy who I believe is named Barry (Baz) Matthews. As I recall from what I've read and seen discussed, there were about 30 of these made (not 200, as reported in this thread), all with white finishes, except for a black one Larry "The Mole" Taylor played with Canned Heat at the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967 and can be clearly seen in the movie by the same name.

George
  15. BurritoBass

BurritoBass

They were made for the UK market back in the 60s and there is a great book on the subject by Barry Matthews who is an expert on them that is worth a read
  16. Meddle

Meddle

It is funny that Fender used it as an exercise to get rid of old Telecaster bass bodies. "Hey Britain we have a special treat for you!!!". Wonky teeth wonky basses!
  17. LCW

LCW

IMO they look ugly i can see why there rare
  18. edmonstg

edmonstg

Burito...thanks for confirming what I had written one post before yours.

Sorry, but the 66 slab Precision bass pre-dates the Telecaster bass by at least a year and a half.

George
  19. LCW

LCW

he posted it at the same time as you so i doubt he saw your post first , the telcaster bass was a renamed reissue of the 51 i think thats the bass being referred to.
  20. DeluxeRed

DeluxeRed

There are at least 4 "photo-coming-soon" Fender CS basses on the MF website now. Too bad the other three all have the word "relic" in their title. (Damn, I'm still hot for that Green T...)
  21. edmonstg

edmonstg

I have owned and worked with both Telecaster basses and an original January 52 Precision bass. I can tell you from many years experience with both instruments that a Telecaster bass is not a reissue of an early slab Fender bass. There are far too many differences for the later to be a copy of the earlier.

However, I can understand (sort-of) what you're saying. The Tele basses were made "in the spirit of" or "in the likeness of" the earlier ones but were never intended to be "reissues."

I am having the same experience right now comparing the Fullerton 57P AVS "reissues" and my main player, which is an original summer of 1957 split-coil P-bass. The Fullertons are no where close to an original.

George