Fender Custom Shop Limited Edition La Cabronita "Porrazo" Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mikhail, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Mikhail

Mikhail

I saw the reverse body version of this bass in the New gear section of the current Bass Player magazine and nearly spit the food out of my mouth when I saw the "street price". Then I did a Yahoo search of the bass and came up with the Fender Custom Shop Limited Edition La Cabronita "Porrazo" Precision Bass. Looks pretty cool and seems interesting. Does anyone have experience with either bass? Not that I'd ever buy one, but I could see myself cobbling together a reasonable facsimile for less than 1/4 the price. How's that pickup sound? Thanks for any comments, pro or con.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PBassPorrazo

2. Mikhail

Mikhail

3. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

I have not played this bass but really Fender could of thought of something way cooler, this bass is BUTTTT UGLY and the price is outrageous, what was Fender thinking, OH they weren't thinking.

4. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

It looks like it's made out of leftovers.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

The price seems quite fair for a Fender Custom Shop, go dig out their quote guide and see what they want for a left handed 62 jazz replica then tell me about it being too expensive.

I personally think the thing looks ugly as sin but if people bought the Adam Clayton sig for over $5k I don't see them having a problem selling these things.

7. J-O

J-O

I think it looks pretty cool. Depending on how it sounds and plays, I'd consider buying one.

8. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

I'm not sure why anyone would call this bass ugly. (Aside from being rude and unnecessary, isn't that against TB rules?). I like this series from Fender. There is a non-CS tele guitar in this series that looks great. I would love for them to do a MIM like this.

9. awilkie84

awilkie84

I like the pickguard...not the pickup.

10. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

It's called "La Cabronita Borracho" because it looks like it was designed by one.

11. Rebop

Rebop

If it had a mudbucker at the neck or just a filtertron style at the bridge, I think it would look better and probably sound like something i'd actually use. That design would make me want to try one. Always liked the look of the guitar version.

Oh yeah. And if that is an actual filtertron pickup, it's basically a hum cancelling pickup with the tone of a single coil. Great design. Really tall skinny coils give it a brighter sound as well as being wired in parallel instead of series. Low output but bright and lively in the mix.

12. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

13. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member Supporting Member

At first glance I thought it WAS a Fender Pawn Shop Reverse Jaguar :bag:

[​IMG]

14. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I think it's pure genius that Fender can get people to pay for some of their custom shop stuff. Ya gotta tip your hat to them, they're gooood.

15. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

I just don't understand Fender anymore.
    $4700.00 for this bass, crazy.
    They will sell 1000 a year at that price.
    Offer it for say $2000.00 what it should be, they will sell
    10,000.00 a year. You do the math.

16. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

First off I have a right to my opinion, I've read way worse comments on TB that make me look like I'm a Saint so why don't you mind your own business.

17. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

Actually, he is correct. It is a violation of TB rules to call a bass "ugly" - unless you own it. Look it up.

18. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

I think that this is the model the OP is talking about:

[​IMG]

19. SherwoodGreen

SherwoodGreen Banned

They're only making (30); it's a Limited Edition.

I played the 2011 version (only difference is the body design, Reverse Jag for 2012-I prefer the non-reverse body style personally).

The Bass- Extremely light, impeccable build, very cool old-school tones. TV Jones pickup placed in exact sweet-spot. The neck curve was very comfortable, I liked everything about this bass.

Except the price! Also, I'm not a major fan of relic'ing, but on this instrument it fits I guess.

FCS basses have a status that commands high prices. If you want one, you pay for it- just like many other highly-regarded builders.

FWIW, the "older" 2011 version can be had for quite a bit less than what's listed as Retail; I also believe a Dealer can work with the list price for the newer model.

Still going to cost though, It's a FCS!

Irrespective of cost, I think it's a great instrument.
    And yes, it could be cloned at a lower cost, but it wouldn't be FCS!

Merry Xmas!

20. smcfarland1337

smcfarland1337 Supporting Member

It looks like a half-arsed bootleg bass.

Also, TBers beware when calling a bass ugly. I got modded for my opinion on Steinberger basses (hint : I'm not a fan of em)!

21. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Like I said - rude. You can state your opinion in a way that does not violate the rules of TB, or come across as generally offensive. I like these basses, especially the Jag. And yes, it looks quite a bit like the pawnshop model, which I also like. I've played a pawnshop jag; it made me like it even more.

I don't like the price, but I might better understand the pricetag if I could play one. Scarcity is certainly part of the price, as is hand craftsmanship. I highly doubt I will ever see one, though, except in pictures on the internet.