1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender Custom Shop Reality

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jawbone, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Jawbone

Jawbone

As the market floods (I've never seen so many Fender custom shop basses for sale on the used market) with used basses it's definitely a buyers world. Just curous about the craftmanship and quality of the Fender Custom Shop line: Are there periods just like the other lines that are better than others? Are they really "custom basses" or is just another Fender marketing guise? Is there any difference to the quality between models: ie, P vs. J? There are quite a few I've got my eye on, but if it's just hype - I'm not going to waste my mojo.
  2. Jawbone

Jawbone

I take it NOS is new old stock?

Also here's an example:

A 1983 vintage Fender P RI for $1,599 vs a Fender custom shop P for $1,899.00. They both have sunburst finishes and look identical. Is there 300 worth of Mojo in the CS model?
  3. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Some of the Custom Shop basses look great...and probably sound just a great.
    There is an absolute marketing plan behind these basses...and the new CS prices seem high to me...but the used market has some value compared to whats out there and the originals are out there as well at comparable prices...
  4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Disclosures:
    Associate to Scomel Basses
    My experience from owning several CS basses and playing many more is that they are superb instruments in every way, as good as ANY bass out there. The finishes, the fretwork, craftsmanship on the all of mine were perfect. The necks all had quartersawn maple and were shaped differently than the stock models. They felt exactly like the Fodera 5's I've owned. Overall there's not one thing that could've been done better on them.
  5. skychief

skychief Gold Supporting Member

They really are custom basses. Or, I should say they are custom finished. The main part of the plant makes the bodies and necks, but then instead of being assembled/finished in the main plant, the Custom Shop components are whisked off to that dimly lit area at the end of a long corridor (kinda scary actually). And its there where the magic and alchemy takes place.

The craftsmen who work in this area wear masks to protect their identity. SomE of the most amazing instruments are crafted back there; some of them special ordered and built to customers specs.

Sure theres likely a bit of marketing hype that goes along with the Custom Shop instruments, but know that they are truly custom.

Oh,, i was just kidding about the masks. :p
  6. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I love the Custom shop artistry but I've seen some of the prices were higher than the basses they were trying to tribute?
  7. mr.mow

mr.mow

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    I've got 2, team built time machine models (nothing custom. Just reissue types).
    Yes, worth every cent, love mine. On paper they are no different to the American vintage basses, but in reality it's nicer, lighter woods, 2pc bodies, quarter sawn necks, nicer fretboards, thinner all nitro finishes, better fret work, tighter neck pockets.

Refinement really..
    I've seen NOS jazzes and passes selling for around $2k new (were talking the eBay seller right?) they're good guys, looked after me.
  8. mjac28

Which models so you have Mow?
  9. mr.mow

mr.mow

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    59p and a 64j, I briefly had a custom classic but it really wasn't my thing (active, poly finish etc).
  10. JonKim

JonKim Supporting Member

I owned many top of the line Mia fenders, vintage series, deluxe, standard, signatures, fmt deluxe.
    I tried a custom shop jaco tribute and that bass blew away all out the water. The feel and construction was night and day and my victor bailey, jaco sig, American deluxe, Fullerton vintage series were all great but the Jaco tribute was years ahead in construction and feel
  11. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

What were those other basses doing under the water??? :meh:

As for Custom Shop Fenders, I have owned US-made non-CS Fenders and CS Fenders, and I notice a significant improvement in quality and workmanship with the CS versions.
  12. JonKim

JonKim Supporting Member

Well all were excellent basses but the best part of the custom shop bass that made it a night and day difference was the playability and feel of the neck
  13. mjac28

Both nice basses congrats
  14. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

+1

Indeed! :bassist:
  15. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

I have a CS Custom Classic Jazz. Special order, team built. Currently working on a master built P. Quality and feel of the CS basses are far beyond what I expected. The AVRI series is extremely nice but not quite as refined.
  16. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

I have an American Standard jazz, an American 60th Anniversary Precision and an original 1972 Tele bass.

I thought that I've achieved "bass nirvana"...

But nooooooooo, there has to be something better. And of course if I scrimp and save for a "Team Built" Custom Shop bass, there will still be "Masterbuilt" basses out of my reach.

Sigh.

Not that it matters, as my current fleet far outstrips my ability already.

:smug:
  17. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

The way I see it if you have the dosh and the bass really speaks to you, go for it. With a stable of fenders like that I wouldn't feel a pressing desire to do without to get a CS.

I think there will always be rare and special things out of the reach of almost everyone - and then there are the things that aren't for sale!
  18. Jawbone

Jawbone

So what I'm reading is: custom shop basses are "definitely" a superior product. So are the custom shop basses I'm seeing primarily "team built"? I take it that is still good thing?

I was going to ask if all CS necks are 1/4 sawed - sounds like yes.

Thanks guys - the last time I forked out this much coin for a musical instrument was for my daughters orchestra grade bassoon.
  19. ljazz

ljazz Supporting Member

I love my '08 CS '59P. It's pretty much the only bass I play anymore. I also have a '08 MIA P, a '92 MIA Jazz (boner) and a '97 AmDlx Jazz V. All are nice, but the feel of the CS P is really step up. The quality of workmanship is also a step up (although, I think the '92 J is close..... it just had some design quirks that I had to overcome on my own).

I've had the CS for a year now. Found it on the rack at a GC...... got them down to just under 1800 out the door. The thing could have been sold as new..... not a scratch or ding on it. Prior to that, I would have never bought one brand new...... now that I have this one, if I ever get a brand new bass again, it will be from the CS.
  20. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

CS basses have always been plentiful used, and deals are all over the place.

I think a lot of them are bought as investments or by wealthy hobbyists who end up selling them in the same state they were bought in as new.

Quality is uniformly excellent but like all Fenders they don't all sound equally good.