Fender custom shop really that good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by glutah, Dec 24, 2012.

1. glutah

glutah

Are they? I have 2700 saved for a p-bass but saw just a plain 57 RI P-bass on ebay for a thousand. Are the CS basses that much better? Thanks for the input

2. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

I have had 2 Custom Shop instruments. They are very nice, well made instruments. That being said, for $2700 you have a lot of options for some very nice basses on the used market.

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

I guess in a word yes. The American Vintage('57 and '62) can be terrific basses. The Custom Shop basses are expensive, but they are pretty much second to none if you want a top of the line vintage style Fender. The Pino Palladino custom shop signiture is an outstanding bass!

There are a couple of other companies to at least consider as well... Bluesman Vintage make killer vintage Fender copies that are true to the 50's 60's basses. Lakland Bob Glaub(now the 44-64) are also terrific.

4. glutah

glutah

Thank you for the response. I am set on a p-bass, and have considered the Laklanders as well. They are great. I am just wondering what is the big difference in a 57 RI or a CS 57 RI other than a thousand dollars

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Immigrant

Immigrant

If I had that much saved for a bass (again) and it was set aside with the intent of getting a Fender CS, I wouldn't buy it on Evilbay. I'd order it through a dealer, play it, return it if it's not up to snuff.

Not without playing it first, and only if it's what I was after in the first place.

Bah!

7. glutah

glutah

A thousand dollar difference? Anybody? any diff in electonics, construction...etc?

8. bassbenj

bassbenj

Look. When you get into the top dollar range it's only going to be about tiny differences. If those differences are worth it to you personally then the bass is worth it. If they are not, then the bass is overpriced.

9. Kryptos

Kryptos

The Custom Shop instruments are very nice indeed. The best wood, construction, electronics and finishing/quality control that the premier luthiers @ Fender can execute.

Whether it is worth the extra expense is an individual matter, I feel it is (I own three Custom Shop instruments). For the amount you mentioned you can buy a fine bass from Fender or a number of other superior makers. Take some time, ask around, play some basses and have fun doing it. In the end you will end up with something you like, that you think sounds great and looks good.

10. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Supporting Member

I've owned 2 Custom Shop Ps and 5 or 6 AVs. Both CS basses were top notch. Very stable necks and in both cases the bodies appeared to be one piece. I doubt either was, but there's an attention to detail on the CS basses not likely to be found on the AVs. The quality of the AVs I owned ranged from okay to excellent, so it's a good idea to try before you buy if possible.

It's hard to say there's a thousand dollar difference per se, but if I were in the market and had the money, I'd go Custom Shop again.

11. skychief

skychief Gold Supporting Member

+1

Best way to find out if its worth the extra $1500 for a CS bass is to pick one up and play it!

I played a CS Jazz bass a couple of years ago; while it was certainly nicer than my old '74 Jazz, it really didnt wow me as much as I had anticipated. So I walked away realizing I'll probably be buried with my ol' '74.

But for you it might be different. You might be blown away with the CS bass,, who knows?

But play one yourself and make a decision based on your own criteria of what a hi-end bass should be.

12. James Judson

James Judson

I have never touched a custom shop Fender. But every time I hear a Fender bass that sounds way better than any Fender bass I'm used to I have to ask. The answer is always "custom shop". That has happened 5 or 6 times.

Me??? I play $600 basses. Can't justify that kind of money and even if I did I wouldn't play it for fear of an accident.

13. KJung

KJung

I'm an Alleva-Coppolo, Sadowsky, Nordstrand snob, and the Custom Shop Pino P Bass I played earlier this year was one of the nicest instruments I've ever played. If you have the cash, I'd go for it!

If you are looking for a 5 string, it makes less sense (since the whole point of the Custom Shop IMO is to get a very high quality replica of a vintage Fender), and I would go with one of the boutique brands. For a 4 string, no brainer IMO.

14. willsellout

willsellout

Go to a store and find a Fender P bass that speaks to you. Then buy it, take it to a shop and have them go through the wiring, do a fret level, crown, and setup. You just saved yourself at least a grand.

15. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

Fender CS basses are top shelf! I owned a CS jazz and then sold it, and later regretted selling it so much that I ended up buying another one, which I still have.

I owned a non-CS Fender jazz (made in USA), and IMO, the CS is much higher quality and just feels better in all respects.

16. KJung

KJung

This is also good advice if you are on a budget.

17. mr.mow

mr.mow

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    I own a 59P and a 64J, I've also owned a bunch of American Vintage series instruments..

The American vintage stuff is really good, awesomely good.. Most of the time.. Some of them can be average, some are great. The custom shop stuff is pretty much awesome all the time, there's little risk in buying one off the shelf.

Keep in mind the AV series and the custom shop time machine series have the same hardware, same electrics, same pickups.. So on paper I see the struggle to understand the price difference.

But, CS.. Consistent weight, 2pc bodies, thinner finish, 1/4 sawn necks, thicker headstock, closer attention to fret work and general detail.

The extra money gets you better detail really, worth it? To me yes, to you?..

18. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

call Rocker Guitars in San Francisco! the owner is selling CS Fenders at his cost to make room for his own brand of customs. i have my eye on a CS59 RELIC PBASS in trans-white that practically plays itself. that same model is selling at MF for $3500.00.
    Rocker has it for $2749.00!!!

i'm a JBass addict, but that P feels like "Butter"!:)

19. willsellout

willsellout

Exactly. You won't have the resale of a custom shop, but on the plus side, the bass that speaks to you could be an MIM or one of the less expensive models. In which case, you save yourself even more.

20. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:
    Well said.
    A CS fender, USA Lakland Glaub, or Bluesman Vintage, are all wonderful basses.
    The CS 'Pino" is as nice a Fender I've ever played.
    My 2004 USA Glaub is my favorite P-Bass.
    And My Bluesman Vintage 1961-stack-knob style bass is only Jazz I play since I got it in 2010.

21. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

I had a '57 RI in white blonde. At the time, I was debating CS. The RI was so good I decided to pass on the CS. Here we are maybe 3 months later. The RI has been replaced by a CS. The CS is that much better on all levels. Whether it's worth the extra money to you is completely up to you.