1. A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

2. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  3. Please Read:Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ for info on bumping, marking SOLD, and more.

SOLD Fender Custom Shop Vintage Precision Bass Custom

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by coryt, Mar 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coryt

coryt Supporting Member

This is a 1998 Fender custom shop bass with a see-through butterscotch blonde finish.

It's a player, not a collector. It has a few dings and some belt buckle rash. The bottom horn/corner of the pickguard is broken as in the photos. The pickguard is a one ply gloss black. I tried replacing it with an early telebass guard but the shape and hole pattern are slightly different. A custom pickguard would have to be made from scratch. It never bothered me that much, so I never got around to it.

The original CS pickups have been replaced with EMG X active pickups which are powered by an external battery box through a TRS cable. I did it this way to avoid making a route in the back, also it makes the batteries much easier to change. You can also run the pickups at either 9 or 18 volts at the flick of a switch. If you use a pedal board, the battery box basically just becomes the first pedal in your chain.
    The bass originally came with two stack knob pots, each one being volume/tone, one for the P and one for the J. The EMGs came with three pots, two volume (one for the P, one for the J) and a master tone. I rarely if ever adjust tone on my basses, so to avoid drilling a third hole in the control plate, I put the tone knob (set flat) in the control cavity and only mounted the two volume knobs to the control plate. Comes with the battery box and an EMG TRS cable.

The original passive CS pickups and controls are included, and the bass can be returned to original as there were no permanent mods done to switch pickups.

The bridge was switched to a Badass II. The original bridge, a vintage looking (and functioning) two-saddle 50's style bridge and mounting screws are included.

The original case is included. Tweed with bright red interior. There are a few scuffs on the outside and a small rip in the lining near the storage compartment where the tuning peg rubs on it. All latches work, but one is a bit sticky. Its solid and opens fine, but you have to push the slider over to get it to close.

Also comes with the CS Certificate of Authenticity.

No issues other than the cosmetic ones listed above. Everything works great. The neck and frets are pristine.

No trades please, I'm going through a major downsizing at the moment.

Asking $1250 US plus shipping from Saskatoon, SK, Canada.
    Paypal is fine, but I prefer to be paid in CAD dollars.

Photos are here:

http://s226.photobucket.com/user/ctremeer/library/Fender Custom Shop Bass?sort=3&page=1

2. bearsdad1

bearsdad1 Supporting Member

I'd like to buy this but first need to know its weight and nut width. Thanks

3. coryt

coryt Supporting Member

The bass weighs 8lbs
    Nut width is 1-9/16", identical to my p-bass

4. nlabat

nlabat

Hi PM me Im interesting on it ....
    Ill be waiting

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nlabat

nlabat

pm sent awaiting answer....

7. bearsdad1

bearsdad1 Supporting Member

I'll take it. See my PM

8. coryt

coryt Supporting Member

I got everyone's pms. There seems to be a lot of interest.
    There is a deal in the works, if it falls through I'll get in touch with the next person in line. I'll know tonight.

9. coryt

coryt Supporting Member

PM sent

10. coryt

coryt Supporting Member

Slight correction to the above ad regarding the method of payment. The price is $1250 US and Paypal is fine, but I need to be paid in the CAD dollar equivalent. I guess this is a problem for some, so just to be clear with everyone else.

11. coryt

coryt Supporting Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.