Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass MIM ... Good N Bad !!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by himluis1, Nov 12, 2012.

1. himluis1

himluis1

I got a fender deluxe active jazz bass mim last october , i have been using it for a while n i love it , i love the knobs being able to control the tone lows n highs and it looks awesome too , but i dont know is is my amp or what but i feel that it sounds too bright sometimes !!! anybody let me know if feel the same
  2. himluis1

himluis1

i have an acoustic b200 amp and it gets dificult for me to get the tone that i want with so many knobs and controls on the eq side :(
  3. TombassCaton

TombassCaton

I love mine!
  4. Ling837

Ling837

I recently got a good deal on one and I love it. Run amp EQ flat and lows 75%, mids around 40%, highs 15% on bass. That is my prefered settings for low classic sound. But I love having so much tone control on hand.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. himluis1

himluis1

yes don't get me wrong i do love it im just looking to get a little more deep u know lower sound ... i think it could be the settings on the amp then like i will play with the eq n see
  7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I had a 97 Deluxe Jazz and it sounded pretty solid, I was pretty happy with it. Are you running it through the active channel on your amp? Do you have the treble cranked?
  8. himluis1

himluis1

here is mine after a bridge and pickguard upgrade !!! gotoh201 n white pearl pickguard

View attachment 299742
  9. himluis1

himluis1

well i play @church n they have an acoustic b200 and the eq seccion its kind of confusing to me i just to own a mb200 by GK and it was just the normal bass mid n high but this acoustic have like 6 knobs on the eq side :s
  10. himluis1

himluis1

i used to own lol
  11. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

In the neutral position, it's definitely too bright. I had to roll off the mids & highs.
    I recently put flats on & now it's balanced.

Did you replace the high mass railed bridge with another high mass railed bridge just to get the slightly narrower string spacing that the Gotoh offers? Cuz, that's the only real difference.
  12. himluis1

himluis1

to be honest i did both upgrades for the looks only !!! and the gotoh bridge gave me a little of more sustain in my opinion , also i feel more vibration on the bass for some reason but i like it like that ... $40 for the bridge and $30 for the pickguard , i think it was a good upgrade
  13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

Don't be shy about turning down the treble. Turn it all the way off and increase it gradually to see what sound you like.
  14. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

I'd be willing to bet that your ears are deceiving you.
    I ran a Gotoh 201 on my P for years and switched back to my bent plate. I noticed no difference, except that I can get the action much lower on the bent plate.

The bridge on the Active Deluxe looks better for build quality, too. They're the same depth & metal and the thick plate on the back of the Gotoh is hollow.

The pickguard looks cool, though.
  15. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

I've owned several of those, and liked them all... IME, favoring the neck pup with the blend knob will help increase lows and tame highs a bit...

- georgestrings
  16. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

I have my '99 MIM Deluxe Active Bass and I LOVE IT. But a few years ago the stock pickups crapped out and had to be replaced. Got a set of the Fender SCM Noiseless pickups and they are quite amazing as well. So I would start with everything running flat, not boost or cut. EQ on your amp first, then do some tweaks on the guitar to fine tune. And they are right, too much treble, cut your highs down a little and/or move your blend knob towards the neck pickup.
  17. himluis1

himluis1

thanks i will do that as soon as i get to church on tuesday n see ...
  18. nortonrider

nortonrider

MIM Jazz Deluxe.
    I use the passive setting on my amp. Also, the bass is strung with Chromes.
    No problems at all not sounding bright.
  19. Wallace320

Wallace320

Not preamp and Ceramic Noiseless pickups, which I really liked.

But then I never played flat in my life, always thru an array of multifx (with 5ers only) pedalboard fxchain (for my many 4ers) all put in send/return after bass equalizer and head equalizer adjusted as well.

So my sound comes out from:
    my (phisycal) head
    my fingers
    my bass neckwood and bodywood/pickups
    my bass eq
    my (electric) head eq
    my pedalboard/fxchain

Cheers,
    Wallace
  20. himluis1

himluis1

after only 2 months of use , the pre amp went bad and my bass has been at the repair shop for almost two weeks waiting for the part :s
  21. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

I had one, and it was a beautiful bass!
    [​IMG]
    One of my favorites to pick up late at night and noodle around with, unplugged. But I could never dial in my amplified sound. To me it went from bright to dull. It had a pretty good bright sound; articulate, lively, popped from the mix. But when I tried to back it off for a more bluesy sound, it seemed to lose its acoustic resonance, and go straight to bleh.
    I wasn't expecting P bass sound from it, but I couldn't find a musical, rolled-off, Jazz sound either. I sold it, and I miss it for the way it sounded and felt unplugged, but I really prefer the overall sound of my Highway One passive (with Fralins).