fender deluxe active jazz bass mim

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by himluis1, Nov 27, 2012.

1. himluis1

himluis1

i have this bass since october of this year no problems so far then one day i plugged in an crazy "ground like" noise coming in ... i try different cables , different amp , but same results ... is like a buzz sound and when i touch the strings goes away but if i dont touch anything on the bass it makes that sound and also if i touch the dots on the pickups too ... this bass is basically new 2+months and this !!!

2. your idol

your idol

3. himluis1

himluis1

i replaced the battery with a brand new duracell one today

4. awilkie84

awilkie84

Ground wire issue. Lift the bridge and ensure the wire is making contact with the metal.
    then, check that the ground is connected to the pot on the other end.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. himluis1

himluis1

i dont know much about working on bass guitar to the point of unscrewing things and all that plus im still under the fender warranty ... i had a problem with the imput jack the second week that i had the bass brand new and 2+months after that i have this issue now !!! ill probably have it fix and sell it !!! i paid close to $800.00 for it hoping not to have stuff like this happening to me frustrated ....

7. awilkie84

awilkie84

If it's under warranty, get it fixed & keep it. It's a really nice bass, and unless you're banging it around like a knob, you shouldn't have any more electronics issues.

Things like loose jacks & bad grounds can seem intimidating or fairly big issues to someone who doesn't know how to work on their bass, but they are VERY minimal and quite common issues on guitars. This isn't one of those "your finger's bleeding so cut off your arm" scenarios. Give it a chance.

8. himluis1

himluis1

yes i took it today to a fender authorized repair shop , the guy said it can be related to ground or bad pre-amp . he will let me know tomorrow and i hope this situation gets better ... its hard when u can barely buy a $750 bass and on the first month is already at the shop , i just use it on sundays for about 2 hrs total playtime , no bars no clubs no bad treatmens at all and this happen :s

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Actually, the proper way to verify a proper bridge ground is to use a meter to check continuity from the bridge to the jack - no knowlegeable person would "lift the bridge" to do that...

- georgestrings

10. awilkie84

awilkie84

Well, if you don't have a meter...like I presume the OP does not, given his admitted lack of electrical knowledge, my way works somewhat!

Just remember that it's under warranty! Any work should be fully covered by Fender.

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Unfortunately, "your way" creates alot of unnecessary work, and still doesn't guarantee results... I have seen bridge grounds that *looked* like they should make good contact, but still didn't meter out... After all, a cold solder joint on the other end, broken wire that can't be seen, etc... would *appear* to be good, yet still fail... A cheap useable multimeter can be had for under $10 - if that's beyond the scope of his abilities, it's not hard to find someone capable of such a simple task...

Removing a bridge that doesn't need it is not the way to go here, plain and simple - and *could* lead to other issues without positively verfying a proper ground...

- georgestrings

12. awilkie84

awilkie84

Well, if you want to go into every possible thing that could go wrong, yes. We could be completely AR and go into the wire having been broken under the wrap, or the solder joint sucking, but these are things that someone with no experience wouldn't have the ability to check.

If you're smart, diligent, and have even SOME common sense you're not going to cause any problems.

Go nit-pick advice that isn't trying to help. ;) I'm sure there's a Fender sucks or MIM vs MIA thread around somewhere.

13. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

I'm not nit-picking anything - I know you were trying to help, but your advice was not the right course of action... I'm sorry if pointing that out bothers you, but I actually am trying to help - by giving the right advice...

FWIW, there was nothing "AR" about the two examples of bridge ground failure I listed - I've actually seen those both happen...

- georgestrings

14. himluis1

himluis1

is a bad pre amp , the repair guy order the part .. 2 weeks with out a bass ... i bought the bass at american musical supply they give u an extra year of warranty when the.fender one is due ... but if your bass goes bad it stays on the repair shop until fix ... no replacements or spare till fix :( . as soon as is done i will sell it this has been a bad experience with fender n ams ... i had an ibanez sr375 for about 6months no issues , i wanted to upgrade to a better "quality" "reliable" bass .. n this happen