Fender deluxe jazz 5 vs. G&L L2500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Porcelain, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Porcelain

Porcelain

Both models being American made. Slap tone is very important. Of these two basses, I'm looking for the one with great punchy low end, crisp slap tone with some growl when needed, and overall great tone. Styles I play are funk, rock, and some jazz.

2. justinellison3

justinellison3

.... play them.. after all you ARE a bass "player" aren't you??

3. Porcelain

Porcelain

I don't appreciate your sarcasm. Of course I am a bass player. Being a bass player doesn't necessarily grant you the time or access to all of the new basses you would like to try. I started this thread to have other people with experience playing both of these basses to give their subjective opinions on their playability. Not to have people give sarcastic remarks because they can't think of anything constrictive to say.

4. benthughes

benthughes Supporting Member

From what you describe , get the Jazz. Shimmery top end, punchy and can get growly if you want it. This'll cover your rock, funk and jazz very well.

The G&L with be growly whether or not you want it. It's a very punch bass and incredibly versatile but crisp and shimmery wouldn't be a way I'd describe it. I loves me some G&L!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

Adjectives like "crisp" can be subjective.
    A GL can be downright snarly up top. A Jazz (depending on the billion different brand of pickups available) can be very shimmery up top, or have a biting cutting tone.

because the jazz pickup in the 18mm 5 string format is readily available in many different flavors, I'd suggest going the Fender route.

A newer Fender American Standard is a passive jazz bass with a very punchy tone with an extended high end that sounds like what you are describing. less vintage and leaning toward almost a modern jazz tone.

Through some aftermarket pickups in there and you have markedly changed the character of the instrument.

Changing the pickups in the G&L, thats a different story.