1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender Deluxe Jazz Suhr (single pole) pickup question. Help!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RBrownBass, Apr 10, 2014.

1. RBrownBass

RBrownBass

Need to know if the single-pole pickups that John Suhr designed for Fender's Deluxe Jazz Basses in the late 90s or so are the same on both the MIA and MIM models. I do know they look the same when installed.

I'm talking about the pickups with one polepiece per string. Here's an image.

[​IMG]

I know from searching that the preamp in the MIAs was different somehow from the one in the MIM, but I'm interested only in the pickups. Did the MIM use the same pickups as the MIA or did the MIM have its own cheaper lookalike version?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

2. RBrownBass

RBrownBass

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

i think they were the same, as the mexis kept these for a while when the USA ones went to the "noiseless" pickups (a step down IMO), then eventually they too went with the noiseless; my guess is fender used up the rest of the stock on the mexi basses.

also, the preamps from that era sure looked and sounded the same to me.

the key with these pickups is that the two coils are actually "out of phase" with each other! that means they won't mix with anything other than their matching pickup, and that you have to orient them both the same way in the bass.

ministerwest likes this.