1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender Deluxe P bas vs EBMM Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HMZ, Jan 7, 2014.

?

Fender Deluxe P Bass or Musicman Stingray

1. Fender Deluxe P Bass

132 vote(s)
    43.7%
  2. Musicman Stingray.

170 vote(s)
    56.3%
  1. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

I'm looking to get either a Fender Deluxe P Bass or
    a EBMM Stingray. I can't decide what I want more.
    I play in a cover band doing everything
    Classic rock, pop, disco 80's ect.
  2. edencab

edencab

my preference would be the Stingray....nothing against Fenders, but to me they are a bit too common, everyone has a Fender (me too!), but there are so many other high quality awesome sounding basses out there

Hi, my name is Edencab and I have GAS
  3. charlie_rtr

charlie_rtr

I also vote the stingray. Although they are expensive, unless you go for the sterling or the S.U.B. They sound badass to.

I have a regular p-bass and a stingray and since getting the ray I barely play the old p-bass anymore.
  4. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

According to your profile, you already own both an MIA P and Jazz - if that still holds true, the Stingray is a no-brainer...

- georgestrings
  5. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

new deluxe or older (humbucker)?

i'll vote stingray too if you have P and J. a stingray is a more versatile bass than it seems at first blush... eq is really killer (at least the 2 band on my classic).
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

7. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

8. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

i would go for the p/hum deluxe, then the musicman, then the p-j deluxe. tons of tonal variety with that humbucker with the p
  9. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    For me, EBMM or go home. Don't forget you can get HS and HH models too for even more variety if you feel like the single H model will not do what you want. Personally, I'm much more a fan of Bongos than Stingrays, and I even like my EBMM Sterling (not SBMM) more than Stingrays as well - lots of variety in the EBMM lineup... I would definitely suggest getting your hands on each and directly A/B'ing them to find yours. If your profile is correct, I'd skip the P bass all together - but that's me (and, just to become a bit obnoxious about it, I'd sell your current P and pick up another EBMM :D).
  10. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

That's true but I was thinking the deluxe is active plus it has a bridge
    pickup it might be a bit more flexable. I am leaning more to the Stingray.
  11. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

I hear that a lot that the humbucker is better
    then the new PJ's. I do like the quality of the
    newer Fenders after 2008. I have. Mia p and jazz bass both
    are 2010 models.
  12. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

I have a EBMM Sterling that I'm selling to buy the
    P or Stingray. I love the way it sounds I just like the
    chunkier neck of a stingray or P for that matter.
  13. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

I would go Stingray, but use flats- like Chromes or maybe Galli flats. That seems perfect for what you need
  14. JSpradBass

JSpradBass

If you are looking for flexibility/versatility and classic Stingray tone I highly recommend checking out an HS or HH Stingray.
  15. Bulldawg82

Bulldawg82 Supporting Member

Two completely different sounds. One is better for motown, surf music, classic rock and country while the other is better for metal. It all depends on what you want to do and how they feel like when you strap it on. Neither one is "better" than the other in regards to the instrument itself. Which one is better FOR THEM is the only question anyone can answer.
  16. I am Soma

I am Soma Supporting Member

Which one is better for metal lol? I have a Am Fender Deluxe P and an EBMM Sterling and can't say one is better than the other for metal :bassist:
  17. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    :rollno:
    Can't disagree more with this, really. Either bass will do you fine in any of the above genres.
    Didn't realize you had a Sterling - sorry about that. Should be a pretty straight trade for a 'Ray. I'd still advocate trying a HS or HH model before comitting to one. For me, I like the two pickup models better, in general, though I've owned and played plenty of the single H 'Ray and Sterlings in the past. Still gotta try a single H Bongo at some point - just never see them in the wild and not going to buy one just to try.
  18. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I skip all Fenders that are "Deluxe". I had a CS Jazz Deluxe and I just hated the preamp. Passive only for Fenders for me.
  19. Bulldawg82

Bulldawg82 Supporting Member

The point is that it is purely subjective. Most would say the EBMM is the better for metal, but also point out that P-basses are used as well (country artists use EBMM too). Which one sounds better to that particular person is the only judgment that can be made. Trying to come to a consensus (of bassists) as to which of the two basses are better is just nonsensical.
  20. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    But you said "One is better for motown, surf music, classic rock and country while the other is better for metal.". Which is simply not true - both will work in any band playing those genres of music quite easily.