1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender Duck Dunn Signature Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LexD, Oct 26, 2012.

1. LexD

LexD

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: D'Ambrosio Guitars
    I'll be going to potentially buy one of the older Fender 1998 MIJ "Donald Duck Dunn" signature bass today I found locally.

All I know about it is what I found on the Fender Forums :

So, anyone have anything nice --or, not so nice to say about these basses? Any other owners here? I understand there were only 400 or so made.

2. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Duck Dunn switched to Lakland for a reason.

Ken J likes this.
  3. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Neo Maxie Zoom Dweebie Supporting Member

Sounds like a regular 57 RI MIJ P bass. If it sounds good and plays good then buy it. I dont think there's anything special about it becaude it says Duck Dunn.

4. LexD

LexD

Disclosures:
    Thanks, I already own a Lakland DD.

Anything to add about the Fender?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Try it in person - It could be perfect, but all used basses have a history!

CIJ/MIJ fenders have a reputation for good QC - if the bass is sweet to play and close inspection shows no issues I'd pick it up.
    It's a P bass. The Duck's name on it is just a nice bonus. :D

I've read the Duck sig Laklands are great.

Here's a few links about the fender sig:
    http://www.fender.com/community/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12611&highlight=
    http://www.harmonycentral.com/products/117271

not much else I can find. Seems to be fairly rare.

7. awilkie84

awilkie84

And many people switch back & forth between the 2 based on their preference at the time. Other artists stick with Fender for their whole careers. What's your point?

j.kernodle and Midak like this.
  8. fraublugher

fraublugher

You already have a Lakland DD ?

You're just toying with us aren't you ? :)

Maybe bring the DD with you when you check out the fender and A/B them, if the fender isn't 4 lbs heavier than the DD buy it and put flats on it and keep the DD with rounds.

9. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

would be an interesting comparison.

10. LexD

LexD

Disclosures:
    Not at all. Big duck dunn fan here. I purchased the Lakland after months of searching for the fender sig. to no avail. Frankly, I figured they were all in the hands of collectors by now.

I'd venture to guess the fender (with Alder body) will be close to the same weight, maybe even a bit lighter than the swamp ash Lakland made DD.

11. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Just to muddy the waters further: For those who may not know, when Duck originally moved to Lakland, they made a Duck sig bass with the '57 cosmetics (two-tone burst, anodized gold guard, maple board). I think there's only one run of 30 basses out there, though.

12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If you're a real Duck lover, why not have both? You can always justify it to yourself by putting different strings on each, as mentioned above.

Just play it and make sure you like it first.

13. okc-zee

okc-zee

30 out there??!!!...Really ???...Jeez,if that's so,I had no freakin' idea that's all there were...Here's my lakland skyline Duck Dunn...Sorry for the crummy pics...took em' a few years ago//
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. mgbass

mgbass

I have one of those! Love it

15. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

What are the neck specs on that version of the Lakland Duck Dunn? Same with the Fender for that matter?

I know the specs on the "current" Lakland Duck Dunn.

16. okc-zee

okc-zee

I wanna say the same as the Bob Glaub ??? I never played a Glaub so I really can't compare them...I believe though that the only difference in this DD and the same period Bob Glaub was the cosmetic appointments...I could be wrong though...

17. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

oddly, there's one on Phoenix craigslist right now as well for 650.

18. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Obviously, the current Lakland DD has a much thinner neck profile that the Glaub.

19. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Yeah I just got one of the Fender ones recently. It's as good as I'd hoped it would be. Very good build, exceptionally nice finish job, the CAR gleams like a ruby. Arrow straight neck.

The Skyline (2nd gen) is a great P bass itself, the Fralin sounded terrific in the one I had. Going from memory, I'd say this Fender feels more solid somehow, and seems to have a bit more highs on tap than the Lakie did. (TI flats on both)

I'm kinda mystified with the Fender pickup, tho. It has one raised pole, instead of two like an original 57-58 P bass would have. Not sure what the intent was with that, or if it's a mistake. If you get one, please post about this aspect on yours.

Not a Dunn-o-phile here, but I don't mind at all that it has his sig on the headstock. I just like the cosmetic feature set, and that it's a well built bass.

You don't see many Fender Duck's on ebay. Oddly, another nice one did pop up a week or two ago. BIN was $750, sold quickly.

[​IMG]

20. GregC

Well, the operative word there is "think"--sometimes a weak point for me.:p I could be wrong, but I check out Laklands up and down the 'net and I haven't seen a lot of these. My understanding is that Lakland was dong Skylines in runs of 30 at the time and that they only did one run of these. Very nice, congrats!

21. GregC

Yeah, pretty sure the necks on the first DDs with '57 cosmetics are 1.75".