Fender Dusty Hill Bass Electronics Help...Anyone know what's in there?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Apex_speed, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Apex_speed

Apex_speed Supporting Member

I have a Custom Shop 55' P-Bass Relic which is fantastic but I prefer the tone of the Dusty Hill bass. I would however never by one given that it looks like someone took a pick axe to it which isn't my thing.

My '55 has a Seymour Duncan Antiquity which is light on the bottom and pretty low output. I spoke with the Seymour Duncan guys and they can build two Dusty Hill stacked 50's PB pickups. One with a regular output and one with a high output. They tell me the high output has a strong bottom end and according to the guy I talked to, it is too strong for his tastes. He claims Fender has used both pups in the Dusty Hill.

Does anyone know which pickup is really in there (Fender will be of no help on that topic)? Also, if I switch to a Dusty Hill pup, do I need to change the volume/tone pot to match? My understanding is that it is a 250K v. 500K choice.

I can experiment but at $150 a whack from Seymour's custom shop and a 6 week wait, I would like to nail it the first time through.

Thanks for any input as my skills are in vintage Ampeg amps, not bass electronics.