1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender experts.......is this body MIM or Squire (China)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by g4string, Feb 10, 2014.

1. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Bought this loaded body a few weeks ago. I think I got screwed into buying a Squire (Chinese) body when I thought I was getting a MIM body. Can anybody confirm the country of origin on this guy. Thanks!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. awilkie84

awilkie84

I just compared it with my Squier body & it looks Squier. That said, the definitives would be if you took the PG off, which doesn't appear to be stock.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Like Awilkie84 said, take the guard off. A standard series (mexican) should have a CNC hole on the front. This appears to have a CNC hole behind the neckplate. I have not seen a standard with that but I don't usually take the neck plate off.

4. awilkie84

awilkie84

Yeah, my Squiers have the CNC hole on the back, MIM has it on the front. Although, my 96 MIM doesn't have a CNC hole at all.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Depends how you look at it ... Squier Affinity is probably going to be alder, and might even be lighter than an older MIM Standard ... I would be more concerned with pots and pups ... open up the cavity and take the p/g off as mentioned ... where did you get it, and what did you pay? ...

I know it might not be a popular viewpoint, but with the abundance of uneducated sellers out there, especially on Ebay where probably a good 15-20% (if not more) of Fender/Squier bass listings will generally have SOME innacuracy, it pays to be an educated/informed buyer BEFORE the purchase ... even then there are plenty of perils from those lurking that are a bit less than honest ... JMHO's

7. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Yes I would like to know where you got it? I think someone not experienced with Fenders probably should stay clear about buying stuff on CL without getting opinions from others. If you buy a bass or part here someone will see the listing that knows whats correct and they will call it out. No one would get away with selling a squier body as MIM here.

Just a FYI I would lean more towards squier then fender as Most MIM's have a routed circular whole the size of a nickel in the pocket.

8. Wallace320

Wallace320

Usually MIM bodies sport a hole like that, or lesser, in the pocket or no hole at all

Most are alder bodies (MIC Squier Affinity and MIM Fender Standard) but the veneer and color of naked wood in the pocket and out of heel corner, and the bridge shape (pickguard apart) are makin' me come to the conclusion of a Standard Squier: agathis body and allparts bridge

Cheers,
    Wallace

9. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Wallace, the P bass that is offered in the Squier 'Standard' line is the Precision Special, with both P and J pups ... that is what led me to call this an Affinity (I am not good at discerning wood types at a distance) ... but I agree, I am also leaning this is a Squier body .. I sent a PM to the OP to help him identify more accurately also ... I have seen that shaped bridge on some of the Squiers I have had pass through here ...

10. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Thanks for the input guys. I'll take some naked pics of the body when I get home [later this evening].

11. Wallace320

Wallace320

Not all Squier Standards were made in Indonesia, and not all Standard Precisions Squier were P special

And those resolutions are not worth what I'd call discernin' wood types from a distance even if I sure can be mistaken.

Cheers,
    Wallace

12. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

.. since 2000-1, the Squier STANDARD Series has consisted of the P Bass Special (both left an right handed) and its variations (Black & Chrome, etc), the P Bass Special V, and the J Bass ... the only 'straight' P configuration Squier would have been available as an Affinity ... this would have continued up to the end of production for the Sq Standard Series, and the introduction of the VM and subsequent CV series ...

.. none of this is directly helping the OP identify his piece though ... but he should have the info he needs to do that by component identification sent in PM ...