1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender experts - please help me identify this

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pacman, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings
    Thanks for looking. This bass belongs to a friend of mine, and I've never seen one like it before. It seems to be a Fender (that little black circle on the headstock is the Fender logo). Appears to be a mahogany body. No visible serial number. This is the stereotypical "closet classic" stored away for years, and then given to my friend's son.

Can anyone identify it?[​IMG]
  2. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay

Definitely not a Fender at least not a legit one.
    looks to be 60's japan to me.
  3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

It's a made in japan "Kingston" or "Noble" p-bass quasi-clone. I have one. They were made by Teisco in the early '60s. Nice bass, with a nitro finish over a mahogany body with a single coil pickup.
  4. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

+1
  5. Pacman

Disclosures:

Were those known to have Fender logo "buttons" on the headstock?
  6. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

If there's anything on that bass with a Fender logo, it was added after the fact.
  7. Jim Carr

+1

The first one I owned, purchased in 1964, had no logo on the head stock. The music store, in Kansas City, Kansas, said it was a Kingston. The one I have now has a "Noble" sticker. There were several other names they were sold under.

Somewhere there is a link to a collector's site the details the history of these...can't find it at the moment. :cool:
  8. Jim Carr

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

A long time ago (early 70s maybe?), Aria made a bass that looked an awful lot like that one.
  10. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

11. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

That is identical to my first bass, purchased used in 1964 in Chicago, branded Kingston. I can't imagine why it would be branded Fender. It weighed a ton. Thank you for the pic, as I haven't seen one since I sold it in 1966.
  12. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

If you want it, there's one currently on sale on Ebay. Bid plus shipping is at about $80 with 23 hours to go. :)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/390685506982?_trksid=p2048036
    Picture of the bass attached and yep, to answer the op, Jim Carr and TomB look to be correct- it's a Kingston
  13. Jim Carr

Max—this one is Teisco, too. Not really a Kalamazoo, MI Epiphone, despite what GC thinks. :rollno:

14. Jim Carr

I'd snag it, but I just got one last month—sentimental old fool that I am. :D :eek:
  15. Pacman

Disclosures:
    Thanks everyone, mystery solved. I appreciate everyone taking the time!
  16. Jim Carr

Jon—it was a pleasure to see pics of other examples of the instrument on which I learned most of what I know and hear. I didn't appreciate it when I was 14, but picking one up again is an enlightening experience. The hours and hours I put in learning everything on every record I had, plus playing with my Mother's kitchen radio were really my music education, despite years of study before and after.