1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender -- Explain them to me...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drumsnbass, Mar 27, 2014.

1. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User Supporting Member

There seem to be a lot of different Fender basses out there. I don't know anything about them other than vintage is pricey, as is "custom shop".

Anyone care to explain it all to me? What is what etc?

Thanks!

2. SJan3

SJan3

3. DogBone

DogBone

Play some Precisions and play some Jazzes. Get an idea of what each is about.

Pretty much all Fenders can be traced to one or the other of those two, and a few are blends (P/J for example).

Decide which bass inspires you, get the best one you can afford, and make some good music and have a good time. :bassist:

4. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

Don't be blind to other good basses - just because Fender is the most widely used doesn't mean they're the best.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

How can a bolt on be the best? Fender is cool but its a basic production line bass. Play a spector! Great name recognition , marketing and long history.

7. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

Does, too! :)

How can it not be the best. :ninja:

Get a Fender and be :cool:

8. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Is this going to turn into another fender bashing thread???

DogBone said it well. There's the precision. It's more of a warmer, if you will, sound. Can be aggressive too. But IME sits in the mix rather well. A jazz will "cut" a little better, it's a little more aggressive to my ears. Then there's all the other variations, the p/j's, the backtops (two humbuckers) and a newer dimension that's sort of more modern I guess. IMO very well made basses, sound great, play great, feel great. For some they're the end all be all. For some, they ain't nothin. IMO, there's a reason why they're so used and prominent. Fender makes great basses. So do some other companies. It's all relative anyway. You may pick one up and hate it. You may love it. It's all a matter of opinion in the eye of the beholder. I dig fenders and Squier's (Squier being the more inexpensive models made in China mostly, they still rock, I love em most cause I can mod the hell out of them).

9. wolfkeller

Bah, get a spector and they'll drool! Fender= waaay overpriced slab of wood, cheap hardware and basic everything. Having said that I own 3. They are cool but still basic and very limited

10. bassteban

bassteban

Play one, and a Spector. And a Ken Smith and a Sadowsky and a Wish and a Squier and a Gibson and a Stambaugh and a Yamaha and a Teisco and a Steinberger and an SX and a Carvin. Don't play a Fodera though, cuz you may just realize they're worth it

11. Matt R.

Matt R. Supporting Member

12. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

the OP didn't ask anything about Spector .. ??!!

though they're great ... as are Fenders ...

bolt on or neck thru ... they sound and act different , so that's a personal preference issue ... I had lots of both since 1973 ...

Leo Fender ... do some research on him and the company if you want to do your own unbiased research . !

I've had all kinds of basses costing from a couple hundred bucks to several thousand bucks ... a dirt cheap amp will make them all sound like crap .. !!!

one of my favorite more recent basses was a used Sadowsky metro Ultra Vintage 5 strg ...

but now I have a couple Warmoths that are modded to my tastes ... whatever my tastes are at this point ...

as others have said ... find something that sounds and feel right to you ...

I wouldn't wanna mod real expensive basses or costly original vintage basses ...

by a decent bass with a well built neck , smooth fret work ... it's pretty easy to mod pickups to get a certain sound you like ... or a P/J type setup might give you a nice variety of both Fender type sounds ... the Precision neck pickup type and placement ... and the Jazz bass bridge pickup type/position ...

there's craploads of good Fender style basses out there .. the P-bass was the first mass produced electric bass ... I'd say the Tele type P is more of a true slab of wood .. !

13. wolfkeller

Perfect...it really is all about a good neck. I just put a squire jazz neck I dig on a Kramer 710 body and bam! New favorite bass!. I did paint the neck myself and I love it

14. bassbenj

bassbenj

Well, it's a good thing you said "Fender basses out there" because as you likely know only a Fender is an actual bass guitar. Everything else are posers. So when someone says "bass" they either mean upright or they mean Fender bass guitar. There is nothing else. And bass guitars come in just two styles. A jazz bass (which really has nothing to do with playing jazz in spite of the popular marketing conception) and a P-bass.

But as you note, Since Fender is the ONLY bass, it has to be basses for everybody! That's why they run the range from Squier to Custom Shop with matching prices. And of course those built when Leo was still alive comand special prices just like a Picasso painting does.

So what's so explain? Fender sets the standard. I mean something with 6 strings isn't really a bass, now is it? That's why Fender doesn't really make one and call it a bass. They call those guitars. And who would make a 5 string P-bass and then add a J pickup to it? It doesn't make sense.

I think this pretty much explains what Fender basses are all about. Yeah. I've got a few and some posers as well. But when real musicians come over I hide the posers.

<satire alert>

15. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

op- just checked your profile and looks like you have some pretty good basses, zon, sadowsky.
    You previously owned a Fender Marcus Miller which is a pretty good Fender variant if you ask me.
    To understand about all the other different Fender basses out there would require a lengthy response as they have conceivably covered all the price ranges out there and features one can ever want. There are so many variants so best thing I can recommend is consider what features are important to you, your price range and I'm pretty sure there's a Fender bass well suited for you.
    http://www.fender.com/

16. drumsnbass

Maybe I should have added more...

I guess they are made in the US, were (are?) made in Japan, also Mexico, plus there is the Jazz, Precision, Squire and ???

What sets which ones apart from the others?

I read one guy raving about Japan quality once, I have seen people down on Mexico stuff. What is a Squire compared to the rest?

I dunno if I am making myself clear, but I guess if one day the bass I may think I want turns up for sale around here (or flea-bay) I want (need?) to know what I am looking at and why it is priced accordingly...

Thanks!

17. drumsnbass

That's exactly how I feel! I mean certainly weight and tone is important, but a neck that feel great to YOU in YOUR HANDS is what it is all about.

Someone mentioned the Marcus Miller I had, and frankly, I just did not like the feel of it very much which is why I sold it. It just did not feel right when I held it. I like the Roscoe I own much better, and really love my fretless Zon the best.

That said, I have held a Sadowsky and thought that was really the ultimate feel I was after, so I finally sprung for a slightly used Metro that should be here soon. Eventually i want to get a matching 34" scale fretless. It need not be a Sadowsky, could be a Fender, could be something else. I already know I like the Sad neck. I understand it is pretty close to the Fender neck in shape, but different. Maybe I should have given the Marcus Miller more time, but it was also a 4 and I gravitate to 5 strings... So maybe one day I want to try another Fender. That is guess would be the basis of the info I am looking for... if it makes sense at all.

Anyone care to comment who own both a Metro RV5 and a similar Fender?