1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender Finish Question: Experts Needed

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by NOVAX, Dec 9, 2012.

1. NOVAX

NOVAX

Hey- my search chops are weak. Does anyone know the best way to remove spray paint from late 70's Fender poly without totally wasting the original finish?
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Supporting Member

Subbed out of curiosity. Poly tends to be bombproof, but I'm interested in what the true experts have to say.
  3. NOVAX

NOVAX

I'm thinking: a) Acetone b)Mineral spirits c)Toluene in order of strength low to high. Anyone?
  4. NOVAX

NOVAX

Bumpity Bump.
  5. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Do you know what kind of spray paint was used? If its a lacquer, then acetone will take it off easily and leave the poly alone. If poly was used, then you have to sand.
  6. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

Might want to post this in luthiers corner section.