1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender flats 50-100 too much for jazz neck?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by perutxo, Jan 18, 2013.

1. perutxo

perutxo

Hi,
    The title says it all. Do you think the 50-100 fender flats would be too much tension for a jazz neck?

2. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

NO, with propper truss rod adjustment it will handle it ok... it might be too much tension for your fingers thoug... they were for mine!

3. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger

Family Man Barrett always seemed to get along fine.

4. hover

hover Banned

I love a taut-feeling string, I feel I can get more feel out of them under my fingers...I appreciate the lack of "give". "looser" strings get too unruly for my technique, and I hate, hate, hate the "clang" of a looser string when you really dig in...fine for pick-style, but not when I play with my sausage link fingers....

I use Fender flats on my SX jazz, and D'Addario Chromes on my VM Jazz, and they both handle the tension just fine, and sound and feel fantastic.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Liv3rman

Liv3rman

My Ibanez SR300 has a really thin maple neck like your Jazz, and run .50-.110 Rotosound flats just fine. Just make sure you set up your truss rod, action when you first restring, and you'll be fine.

7. Itzayana

Itzayana

I used Fender 50-100 flats for a few years and just switched to Fender 55-105 flats.
    Not too much tension for the neck.
    I really love the feel of these high tension strings. You can get the action really low and 64th note runs are clean and punchy.
    Just feels so right to me.

8. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

Wow - 64th notes? At what tempo?

9. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Gold Supporting Member

...And another guitarist decides he's ready to take up electric bass...

10. backup

backup

:bag:
    i still prefer this to "300bpm note runs are clean and punchy"

btt, high gauge strings (as long as they are 4 string sets) wrecking necks is a myth. you can put jamersons on jazz basses nothing is going to happen as long as you adjust the tuss rod.

11. Bisonzone

Bisonzone

hello!

i was interested in grabbing a set of these strings, but read about a possible need for a truss rod adjustment? How would you need to adjust it exactly, and how would you know if you needed an adjustment at all? thanks for any tips!

12. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Neo Maxie Zoom Dweebie Supporting Member

Clockwise

13. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

The biggest problem most people have when they put heavier strings on a bass is they don't adjust the truss rod in a way that will prevent it from damaging the neck. But it's easy. Put the strings on and tune to pitch. Then, pre-stress the neck by pulling it back to where it belongs manually and tighten the truss rod. That way you're not attempting to have the TR nut push the neck into position, you're merely setting the nut where it needs to be.

It's not as complicated as it sounds- Gary Willis used to have a good video of how to do it.

And Fender Jazz Basses shipped from the factory with 850's up until 1982. They don't make that set any more, but it was bigger than 50-100. Joe Osborn's 1960 Jazz had the same set of LaBella Flats (and they only made one set in those days) for over 20 years and that neck wasn't wrecked.

John