1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender fretless jazz bass mim mods

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Cajuare, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Cajuare

Cajuare

Hi,
    I just bought a fender fretless jazz bass mim.
    I planning to do some modifications to it. (Pickups,preamp,bridge,strings,etc)

Which modifications do you recommend to get a nice fretless sound?
  2. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

Ok well you asked, ha ha.
    My '01 Agave Blue MIM Fretless:
    MODS:
    - Gotoh Reverse Gear tuners
    - Bone Nut
    - Clay Dots on neck
    - Neck narrowed down to 1.45 at nut
    - Tort Pickguard
    - Fender CS '60's pickups
    - Vintage Stack Knob wiring, CTS etc
    - Fender multi-detent stack knobs
    - Fender Vintage threaded Bridge
    - Fender Pickup covers
    - RS TruBass 88 tapewound strings
    And just lately switched to an older MIM Black Body. It is much lighter. I had to open up the bridge pup route a bit but it so much more comfy now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hey you asked...😃
  3. RobbieK

RobbieK

I'd get some hum cancelling pickups, as fretless jazz basses sound great with the bridge pretty much solo (think Jaco).

If you go active, I'd suggest getting a preamp with a mid control. Fretless is all about the mids.

Listen carefully and critically to the bass unplugged in a quiet room. If it sounds a but mushy or lacking that woody tone, possibly think about the dimarzio J pickups. They really push the mid range thing as well.

The other (slightly less glamorous) thing to spend some $$ on, is a good set up from a reputable luthier. Getting the board perfectly radiused plus the action and relief perfect is critical on a fretless because so much of that tone is from the way the string sounds on the board.
  4. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

^^^Good advice here. However with my single coils AND Tapewounds even, my bass is virtually silent even with one pup rolled off its really pretty quiet. But I have a lot of experience with shielding witch makes a big difference. I like to use both the shielding paint plus foil for their different performance attributes.
  5. Cajuare

Cajuare

Thanks guys for supporting.

What about pickups?
    Which brand do you think helps to get a
    Great fretless tone?

Preamps?

Bridge?

Strings?