1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender Fretless Jazz bass question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dogwillhunt80, Apr 25, 2012.

1. dogwillhunt80

dogwillhunt80

Hello.

Another bass n00b question here for you experts. I am somewhat interested in getting an electric fretless bass and Fender Jazz is one of my top picks so far (not fully done researching yet though).

Below are some links to 2 different Fender Jazz fretless basses, sold at the same store. One of them is $600 and the other is $1300. My question is, why such a big price difference? I just wanna understand if quality between the two is that big of a difference, even though I would be a beginner at bass (played guitar for years but recently more interested in playing bass too).

Long & McQuade - Fender Musical Instruments Standard Jazz Bass Fretless - Brown Sunburst

Long & McQuade - Fender Musical Instruments American Standard Fretless Jazz Bass - Rosewood Neck In 3 Tone Sunburst
  2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

one is american made, one is mexican made. They use different parts and and such as well, more details can be found on the fender website, but their MIM stuff is pretty good, especially for a beginner bass.
  3. crashonskis

crashonskis

I would reccomend the squier vintage modified jazz bass.
  4. Lo-E

Lo-E

+1. Excellent quality for the price.
    Excellent playability for any price.
  5. Wannaflea

Wannaflea

=1,000,000

I prefer these to any Fender fretless jazz I've ever played
  6. Davo-London

Davo-London

It's a good question. If you could try them both then you may be able to see/feel the difference. But a fingerboard tint and lighter machine heads don't really justify it. i'm interested in the glossed fingerboard.

I have a full-blown epoxy coated neck which is amazing and enables roundwound strings to be used. I'd like to know how Fender have done this.

Davo
  7. dogwillhunt80

dogwillhunt80

To the person who said this (or anyone who knows), probably a stupid question, but for Squiers, are there MIM, MIA, MIJ, etc or are all they all made in same country? If not, are there significant differences?
  8. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

I believe current squier production is either china or Indonesia. Over the years squier basses have been made in a variety of countries but i think the VM series are all Indonesia. They use cheaper materials, components, and construction methods/labor than MIA/MIJ/MIM fenders.