Fender FSR P basses??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Buster Brown, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

2. Miskatonic

Miskatonic

One of Fender's nicer new offerings for sure. They also did one in a trans black with a maple board.

The wine stained one though is just begging for an unlined fretless board and matching headstock.

Back on topic, I haven't had an opportunity to play one, but I don't see where they would be substantially different than an American std.

3. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

Agreed! Although I'm not currently in the market for another P bass.....if I were, I'd jump on these like there was no tomorrow! One of these would compliment my 62RI in a BIG way! :D

4. Jwood

Jwood

Yeah they look really slick. I've been fighting the urge to pick one up for about a week now.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Walker83

Walker83

Will these basses be much heavier than the alder p-bass? If so by how much?

7. Bass_ElkGrove

Bass_ElkGrove

I've got major GAS over the mahogany stained with maple fretboard version. Since these are "Factory Special Run" I wonder how many were made???

These are new for 2012 and don't appear in many online or local shop, which leads me to think I need to grab one soon!

8. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

I have ordered one and it should arrive in the next day or two!

Here is the link to the one I'm getting: FENDER® AMERICAN STANDARD SERIES FSR ASH PRECISION BASS® WITH CASE, MAHOGANY STAIN/MAPLE () - Elderly Instruments

I was also curious about the number being made and how this model aligns with the non-FSR AS P bass line, especially the pickup. The 2012 AS now comes equipped with the CS / '62 pickup and it doesn't mention that pickup in the description of this FSR run.

Anyway, contacted Fender and you can read the response here:

9. andyhell49

andyhell49

Well, one of those 150 is currently hanging on a wall in a music shop in Stratford Upon Avon (U.K.). I saw it yesrerday and was intrigued. It does look amazing and I am almost regretting buying an American Deluxe Precision a few months ago, as I am not really making best use of its versatility. The FSR could be a good investment if I could afford it!

10. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

I have one now sitting in my music room! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. andyhell49

andyhell49

Looks great! How does it play/sound?

12. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Thanks!

Well....it's an American Standard and that's exactly how it sounds and plays. However, this bass seems to be a little more resonant than my other basses. I can actually tune this bass ans hear it easily without an amp. It's also light, about 8.5 pounds....what a joy for my aging back!

Hope this helps.

13. andyhell49

andyhell49

Yes, thanks for that.

I am a little wary of the 150 claim though, as they seem to be on offer all over the place. I will be interested to see if they are still in abundance in a couple of months time, as you would have thought that 150 would be snapped up pretty quickly worldwide.

14. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Yeah, I was skeptical too which is one of the reasons I e-mailed Fender customer support and asked. They confirmed 150 (of each model, I believe) world-wide (post 7).

Also, just checked Fender's website and these special run basses have been removed from the website which leads me to believe whatever is out there is going to be it. I believe these basses started hitting the retail channel around late March / early April, so they haven't been out there long.

15. BillMason

BillMason

But if they deem it a success, expect more special runs. Kind of exciting to think about what else they might release!

16. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

I agree, I suspect they are testing the market too. In the past, FSR's were sponsored by retail stores (GC), so I like the idea of Fender exploring this niche. I would also expect future FSR's to be more expensive since this may be a test.

All of this is pure speculation! :eek:

17. Co0O

Co0O Supporting Member

Got mine today!
    It's even signed and numbered by Jeff Allen (#44)!! :cool:

[​IMG]

18. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Very cool! Signed and numbered where?

19. Co0O

Co0O Supporting Member

It's signed on the back of the headstock. He's used a permanent marker pen. I bought the bass online, had no idea it was signed before I opened the case and picked it up. Incredible luck! :)

20. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Nice surprise for sure! No signature or number on mine.

How do you like your bass?

21. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Wow, that finish is a beauty!