Fender FSR question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pica, Dec 28, 2012.

1. pica

pica

I'm just curious what people think of the Fender FSR bass. I didn't really see a lot of threads when I did a search. Are they just a standard MIM bass?

2. mattattack187

mattattack187 Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

From what I hear it has a terrible stock bridge.

3. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

There have been a lot of different FSR models over the years. Is there a specific FSR that you're wondering about? (Not that I'm an authority on them, but somebody will probably know something about whichever one you're curious about.)

I have a 2012 FSR Am.Std. Jazz in the hand-rubbed Wine Red Stain over ash with a rosewood board. If I recall, there were either 200 or 300 of each made in the Jazz and Precision; and another 200 or 300 of each made in the J and P in Mahogany Stain over ash with a maple board. Here's mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

No, not all FSR Fender basses are MIM. GC has done a couple of runs that were. However in 2012 Fender did their own FSR release and they were MIA, both P and J versions.

What version / model are you referring to?

I've never heard of anything like this for either the MIM or MIA's. Yes, many of the MIM models have the traditional stamped bridge. Many here will tell you (and I agree) that these bridges work just fine. The MIA FSR that I purchased this year has the improved high mass bridge.

Here is a pic of my MIA Fender FSR with high mass bridge.

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pica

pica

The one in particular I was referring to is a jazz, natural wood with a tort pick guard. I don't really know what version or model it is.

7. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

HAH! Jeff, you beat me to the post! Well at least we have a P and J example now shown!

8. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

You are probably referring to the MIM FSR Jazz that's been around for years. Rosewood board, right? This is a good MIM and you sometimes find them at GC.

9. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Yeah, this model was a GC FSR. It is a standard MIM. What made it an FSR was the finish. The natural finish was unique to the GC FSR release at that time.

10. pica

pica

That sounds like the one.

11. pica

pica

LuvMusic, I'm really diggin your FSR P bass. Looks sweet.

12. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

That FSR had to have been the longest special run ever. It's been around for years, mainly at GC (subsidiary Musicians friend has and it too).

I remember when they had the P bass version. That was also pretty sweet. I almost bought one a few years ago.

13. pica

pica

LOL!!

14. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Man, every time I start thinking how good mine looks, that damn picture of yours pops up and makes me jealous! ;) (Actually, I like them both a lot...)

15. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

The original run of them actually came with a white pickguard ... after the first couple years they switched to the tort ...

.. the bridge used on that is a simple bent plate Fender 5 hole mount, single slot bridge ... if it is terrible, there are a LOT of very nice (and very expensive) basses floating around out there with a terrible bridge ... :)

.. I had a few of them, and if I remember correctly, the headstock sticker on the back actually calls it a Fender Special Edition ... could be wrong though, its been seveal years since I had one ... I think that they are still available on the MF site ... at least the J's were last time I was on there ...

16. pica

pica

I really like the color of yours too Jeff K.

17. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Thanks Pica. Maybe I won't need counseling after all... :D (But I must admit, that Mahogany Stain is sweet as well...)

18. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Thanks, I appreciate it!

I really like the wine hand stained finish. If Fender had offered that finish with a maple board, that's the route I would have taken.

I played a J like yours and it was excellent! I hope you are enjoying your FSR as much as I am enjoying mine.

19. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

Fender offered a MIA bass for $499? That doesn't sound right...

20. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Never said it was $499.00 and the question was about FSR basses all being MIM. Just answered the question.

21. msb

msb

FSR stands for Fender Special Run . There have been quite a few different runs usually commissioned by dealers and only sold by them . Each run will be a little different .